This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
The purpose of this paper is to describe a sensory reeducation program classified into five stages: (1) feature detection and recognition of objects; (2) correction of the pattern of prehension in the hand; (3) control of precise force for grasping objects; (4) maintenance of grip force during movement of the proximal joints; and (5) manipulation of objects. The program is specific to hand function in activities of daily living and is based on recent neurophysiological findings. It is illustrated by a detailed case study.
The authors report that, through sensory reeducation, a patient who had an insensitive hand gained the ability to recognize objects. She learned to utilize a sense of muscle resistance and a sense of vibration in the shoulder. Her body image improved along with the usefulness of her hand in activities of daily living.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Management of sensory loss in the extremity.in: Orner JE Management of Peripheral Nerve Problems. Saunders, Philadelphia1980: 862-872
- Clinical mechanics of the hand. Mosby, St. Louis1985
- Manual motor performance in a deafferented man.Brain. 1982; 105: 515-542
- Evaluation of sensibility and re-education of sensation in the hand. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1981
- Methods of compensation and reeducation for sensory dysfunction.in: Hunter JM Schneider LH Mackin EJ Callahan AD Rehabilitation of the Hand. 3rd ed. Mosby, St. Louis1990
- The Application of Recent Neurophysiologic Findings to a Sensory Re-education Program.in: Presented at ASHT meeting, Denver, September1990
- Sensory re-education.in: Gelberman R Operative Nerve Repair and Reconstruction. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia1991: 827-844
- Sensory re-education after peripheral nerve injury.in: Omer J Management of Peripheral Nerve Problems. Saunders, Philadelphia1981: 769-778
- Postcentral neurons in hand region of area 2: their possible role in the form discrimination of tactile objects.Brain Res. 1978; 150: 662-666
- Functional subdivisions representing different finger regions in area 3 of the first somatosensory cortex of conscious monkey.Exp Brain Res. 1983; 51: 315-326
- Functional subdivisions representing different finger regions in area 3 of the first somatosensory cortex of the conscious monkey.Exp Brain Res. 1983; 51: 315-326
- Converging patterns of finger representation and complex response properties of neurons in area 1 of the first somatosensory cortex of the conscious monkey.Exp Brain Res. 1983; 51: 327-337
- Cortical neural mechanisms of tactile perception studied in the conscious monkey.in: Katsuki Y Nergren R Brain mechanisms of sensation. Wiley, New York1981: 61-70
- Comparison of the hand and finger representation in areas 3, 1, and 2 of the monkey somatosensory cortex.in: Rowe M Willis WD Development, Organization, and Processing in Somatosensory Pathways. Liss, New York1985: 239-245
- Diversity in receptive field properties of vertical neuronal arrays in the crown of the postcentral gyrus of the conscious monkey.Exp Brain Res. 1985; 58: 400-411
- Vertical neuronal arrays in the postcentral gyrus signaling active touch: a receptive field study in the conscious monkey.Exp Brain Res. 1985; 58: 412-420
- Functional surface integration, submodality convergence, and tactile feature detection in area 2 of the monkey somatosensory cortex.Exp Brain Res (suppl). 1985; 10: 44-58
- The role of the somatosensory and association cortices in hand function.Brain and Nerve,. 1991; 43: 603-611
- Rostro-caudal gradients in the neuronal receptive field complexity in the finger region of the alert monkey's postcentral gyrus.Exp Brain Res. 1993; 92: 360-368
- Postcentral neurons of alert monkeys activated by the contact of the hand with objects other than the monkey's own body.Neurosci Lett. 1995; 186: 127-130
- Butterworths, London1981 Rehabilitation of the Hand. 4th ed.
- Sensory loss in the hand after sensory stroke: therapeutic rationale.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1988; 69: 833-839
- The assessment and treatment of patients who have sensory loss following cortical lesions.J Hand Ther. 1993; 6: 130-138
- Observation on active touch.Psychol Rev. 1962; 69: 477-491
- The perception of texture by touch.in: Schiff W Foul KE Intactual Perceptiona Source Book. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge1982: 130-167
- Hand movements: a window into haptic object recognition.Cogn Psychol. 1987; 19: 342-368
- Sensibility evaluation and sensory re-education following peripheral nerve injury: haptic judgments.in: Presented at the 18th Congress of Japanese Association of Occupational Therapists, Fukuoka-prefecture, JapanJune 1984
- Localization of a constant-touch and moving-touch stimulus in the hand: a preliminary study.J Hand Ther. 1993; 1: 23-28
- The control of hand movements in a case of hemianesthesia following a parietal lesion.Brain. 1984; 107: 899-920
- Patterns of static prehension in normal hands.Am J Occup Ther. 1980; 34: 437-445
- Factors influencing the force control during precision grip.Exp Brain Res. 1984; 53: 277-284
- Desensitization of the traumatic hand.in: Hunter J Schneider LH Mackin EJ Callahan AD Rehabilitation of the Hand. 3rd ed. Mosby, St. Louis1990
- Development of a hand sensibility test for use in desensitization of the hypersensitive hand.Am J Occup Ther. 1983; 37: 176-181
- Springer-Verlag, New York1986 Fundamentals of Sensory Physiology.
- Kinesthetic sensibility.Physiol Rev. 1978; 58: 763-820
- Sensation and sensibility in the upper extremity.Clin Orthop. 1974; 104: 30-36
- Functional reorganization of primary somatosensory cortex in adult owl monkeys after behaviorally controlled tactile stimulation.Neurophysiology. 1990; 63: 82-104
- Reorganization of mammalian somatosensory cortex following peripheral nerve injury.Trends of Neurosciences. 1982; 5: 434-436
- Reorganization of cortical representations of the hand following alterations of skin inputs induced by nerve injury, skin island transfers, and experience.J Hand Ther. 1983; 6: 89-104
- Functional recovery in the somatosensory cortex of monkeys with regenerated nerves: replication versus reintegration.in: Rowe M Willis WD Development, Organization, and Processing in Somatosensory Pathways. Liss, New York1985: 277-287
© 1996 Hanley & Belfus, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.