To evaluate the efficacy of the Centella asiatica extract in a cream preparation for the prevention of scar tenderness formation in patients who underwent conventional open carpal tunnel release (CTR) surgery.
Material and Methods
A total of 280 patients with carpal tunnel syndrome who underwent CTR surgery were individually randomized into the intervention (n = 140) and control (n = 140) groups. In the intervention group, a petroleum cream mixture consisting of 1% Centella asiatica extract was applied to the patients’ wrist for 6 months after the sutures were removed. In the control group, no intervention was applied. The Vancouver Scar Scale (VSS), Quick Disabilities of Arm, Shoulder and Hand (QuickDASH) functional score, and Visual Analog Scale (VAS) satisfaction scores were assessed preoperatively and postoperatively. Follow-up evaluations were scheduled at 1, 3 and 6 months after CTR surgery.
The overall VSS score of the intervention group significantly improved at 3-6 months (-1.260, p = .040). At 6 months after surgery, the mean QuickDASH functional score was 18.54 (range 0.00-63.64, SD 17.4) in the intervention group and 28.70 ± 12 (range: 2.27-40.91) in the control group (p < .04). At 6 months after surgery, the mean VAS satisfaction score was 1.46 ± 1.95 (range: 0-4) in the intervention group and 2.48 ± 1.02 (range: 0-4) in the control group (p < .03).
The Centella asiatica cream applied to the wrist after CTR surgery was found to be beneficial in preventing scar tenderness in the thenar and hypothenar regions of the hand.
Abbreviations:CTS (carpal tunnel syndrome), CTR (carpal tunnel release), VSS (Vancouver Scar Scale), QuickDASH (Quick Disabilities of Arm Shoulder and Hand functional score), VAS (Visual Analogue Scale)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Incidence of common compressive neuropathies in primary care.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2006; 77: 2635
- Microsurgical carpal tunnel release.Neurosurgery. 1995; 37: 66-70
- Recurrent carpal tunnel syndrome–analysis of the impact of patient personality in altering functional outcome following vascularised hypothenar fat pad flap surgery.J Hand Microsurg. 2012; 4: 1-6
- Carpal tunnel release: efficacy and recurrence rate after a limited incision release.J South Orthop Assoc Fall. 2002; 11: 144-147
- Retrospective analysis of five-year and longer clinical and electrophysiological results of the world's first endoscopic management for carpal tunnel syndrome.Hand Surg. 2013; 18: 317-323
- Prospective comparison of minimal incision “open” and two- portal endoscopic carpal tunnel release.Plast Reconstr Surg. 1995; 96: 941-947
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel release.Orthop Clin North Am. 2020; 51: 361-368
- A endoscopic carpal tunnel release.World Neurosurg. 2020; 139: 548
- Limited incision carpal tunnel release.Indian J Orthop. 2017; 51: 192-198
- The recurrent carpal tunnel syndrome.Zentralbl Neurochir. 1993; 54: 80-83
- Jeon IH. Current for carpal tunnel syndrome. approaches.Clin Orthop Surg. 2014; 6: 253-257
- Complications of carpal tunnel surgery.J Neurosurg. 1985; 62: 352-356
- The carpal tunnel syndrome. Clinical evaluation of 598 hands.Clin Orthop. 1972; 83: 29-40
- Absorbable versus non-absorbable sutures for skin closure after carpal tunnel decompression surgery.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 2 (Feb 1)CD011757
- Skin closure in carpal tunnel surgery: a prospective comparative study between nylon, polyglactin 910 and stainless steel sutures.Hand Surg. 2004; 1: 35-38
- Clinical outcome and cost comparison of carpal tunnel wound closure with monocryl and ethilon: a prospective study.Hand Surg. 2013; 2: 189-192
- Long-term complications of open carpal tunnel release.Muscle & Nerve. 2008; 38: 1443-1446
- Recent advances in hypertrophic scar.Histol Histopathol. 2018; 33: 27-39
- The roles of inflammation in keloid and hypertrophic scars.Front Immunol. 2020; 11 (Dec 4)603187
- The latest strategy for keloid and hypertrophic scar prevention and treatment: the Nippon medical school (NMS) protocol.J Nippon Med Sch. 2021; 88 (Mar 11): 2-9
- Medicinal plants for the treatment of hypertrophic scars.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015; 1: 15
- Medicinal plants and their natural components as future drugs for the treatment of burn wounds: an integrative review.Arch Dermatol Res. 2014; 306: 601-617
- Sense and nonsense of scar creams and gels.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 1994; 18: 307-313
- Centella asiatica in dermatology: an overview.Phytother Res. 2014; 28: 1117-1124
- Centella asiatica in cosmetology.Postepy Dermatol Alergol. 2013; 30: 46-49
- A prospective randomized, controlled, double-blind trial of the efficacy using centella cream for scar improvement.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2018; 179525624
- Wound healing activities of different extracts of Centella asiatica in incision and burn wound models: an experimental animal study.BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012; 12: 103
- Evaluation of topical formulations of aqueous extract of Centella asiatica on open wounds in rats.Indian J Exp Biol. 1998; 36: 569-572
- Rehabilitation following carpal tunnel release.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 2 (Feb 17)CD004158
- The vancouver scar scale: an administration tool and its interrater reliability.J Burn Care Rehabil. 1995; 16: 535-538
- Chapter 5 - Pain Assessment, Essentials of Pain Medicine (Fourth Edition).2018: 39-46.e1
- Measures of adult shoulder function: Disabilities of the arm, shoulder, and hand questionnaire (DASH) and its short version (QuickDASH), Shoulder pain and disability index (SPADI), American shoulder and elbow surgeons (ASES) society standardized shoulder assessment form, constant (Murley) score (CS), simple shoulder test (SST), Oxford shoulder score (OSS), Shoulder disability questionnaire (SDQ), and Western ontario shoulder instability index (WOSI).Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2011; 63 (Nov): S174-S188
- Improved surgical outcomes with endoscopic carpal tunnel release in patients with severe median neuropathy.Hand (N Y). 2017; 12: 252-257
- Results of different incisions in treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir. 2000; 32: 67-69
- Carpal tunnel release by limited palmar incision versus.Hand Surg. 2004; 9: 35-38
- Long-term results of operation for carpal tunnel syndrome.Mayo Clin Proc. 1966; 41: 232-241
- Endoscopic versus open carpal tunnel release: a short-term comparative study.J Orthop. 2007; 41: 57-61
- Clinical outcomes of carpal tunnel release in patients 65 and older.Hand Surgery. 2005; 30: 75-80
- Minimally invasive carpal tunnel decompression using the KnifeLight.Neurosurgery. 2007; 60: 162-169
- A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials comparing endoscopic and open carpal tunnel decompression.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 114: 1137-1146
- Wound healing activities of different extracts of Centella asiatica in incision and burn wound models: an experimental animal study.MC Complement Altern Med. 2012; 12: 103
- Pharmacological review on Centella asiatica: a potential herbal cure-all.Indian. J Pharm Sci. 2010; 72: 546-556
Published online: March 12, 2023
Accepted: November 1, 2022
Received in revised form: October 31, 2022
Received: April 14, 2021
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: The authors declare that they have no financial or other conflict of interest in relation to this research.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.