- •The cross-sectional area of the median nerve as measured by diagnostic ultrasound is larger in healthy individuals over 40 compared to those under years old.
- •The cross-sectional area of the median nerve as measured by diagnostic ultrasound is larger in healthy individuals with an elevated body mass index and weight.
- •Anthropometric and demographic characteristics including age, body mass index, and weight should be considered when examining the cross sectional area of the median nerve at the wrist, especially when determining cut-off points for establishing a diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: a review of the recent literature.Open Orthop J. 2012; 6: 69-76
- The role of diagnostic ultrasound in the examination of carpal tunnel syndrome: an update and systematic review.J Hand Ther. 2021; 35: 215-225https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2021.04.014
- The diagnostic accuracy of median nerve ultrasonography in elderly patients with carpal tunnel syndrome: sensitivity and specificity assessment.Clin Interv Aging. 2018; 13: 1953-1962https://doi.org/10.2147/CIA.S177307
- Diagnostic utility of the sonographic median to ulnar nerve cross-sectional area ratio in carpal tunnel syndrome.Turkish J Med Sci. 2018; 48: 110-116https://doi.org/10.3906/sag-1707-124
- Ultrasonographic reference sizes of the median and ulnar nerves and the cervical nerve roots in healthy Japanese adults.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2013; 39: 1560-1570https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2013.03.031
- Ultrasonographic reference values for assessing the normal median nerve in adults.J Neuroimaging. 2009; 19: 47-51https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6569.2008.00256.x
- Effects of computer keyboarding on ultrasonographic measures of the median nerve.Am J Ind Med. 2011; 54: 826-833https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.20983
- Influence of body mass index on median nerve function, carpal canal pressure, and cross-sectional area of the median nerve.Muscle Nerve. 2004; 30: 481-485https://doi.org/10.1002/mus.20125
- Usefulness of additional measurements of the median nerve with ultrasonography.Neurol Sci. 2010; 31: 721-725https://doi.org/10.1007/s10072-010-0258-9
- Relationship between anthropometric variables and the cross-sectional area of the median nerve by ultrasound assessment in healthy subjects.Acta Reum Port. 2020; 45: 104-110
- Impact of keyboard typing on the morphological changes of the median nerve.J Occup Health. 2017; 59: 408-417https://doi.org/10.1539/JOH.17-0058-OA
- Morphological changes of the median nerve within the carpal tunnel during various finger and wrist positions: an analysis of intensive and nonintensive electronic device users.J Hand Surg Am. 2019; 44: 610.e1-610.e15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2018.08.006
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. About adult BMI. Published 2022. Accessed July 20, 2022. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/index.html#InterpretedAdults
- The relative efficiency of regression and simple unit predictor weights in applied differential psychology.Educ Psychol Meas. 1971; 31: 699-714
- Effect of wrist posture on carpal tunnel pressure while typing.J Orthop Res. 2008; 26: 1269-1273https://doi.org/10.1002/jor.20599
- Nerve compression injury and increased endoneurial fluid pressure: a “miniature compartment syndrome.Neurosurg, Psychiatry. 1983; 46: 1119-1124https://doi.org/10.1136/jnnp.46.12.1119
- Static wrist position associated with least median nerve compression.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2001; 80: 256-260
- Pressure measurement in carpal tunnel syndrome: correlation with electrodiagnostic and ultrasonographic findings.J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2009; 46: 199-204https://doi.org/10.3340/jkns.2009.46.3.199
- Normality tests for statistical analysis: a guide for non-statisticians.Int J Endocrinol Metab. 2012; 10: 486-495https://doi.org/10.5812/ijem.3505
- Foundations of Clinical Research: Applications to Practice.3rd ed. F.A. Davis Company, Philadelphia, PA2015
- Cross-sectional area reference values for high-resolution ultrasonography of the upper extremity nerves in healthy Asian adults.Medicine (Baltimore). 2021; 100: e25812https://doi.org/10.1097/MD.0000000000025812
- Hand pain and sensory deficits: carpal tunnel syndrome.J Orthop Sport Phys Ther. 2019; 49: CPG1-CPG85https://doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2019.0301
- Body mass index: obesity, BMI, and health, a critical review.Nutr Today. 2015; 50: 117-128https://doi.org/10.1097/NT.0000000000000092
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: The study was approved by the Midwestern University (Glendale, AZ) Office of Research and Sponsored Programs Institutional Review Board. The project was funded by an internal Research Facilitation Grant from the Midwestern University College of Health Sciences Grant Number 30-2016-8136.
Conflicts of interest: The authors declare there were no conflicts of interest.