- •Exercise relative motion orthoses are frequently used by clinicians.
- •The relative motion (RM) pencil test is used prior to fabricating an exercise RM orthosis.
- •Measurement of the metacarpophalangeal differential is described.
- •Various clinical conditions are linked with the best suited exercise relative motion orthosis.
- •An algorithm is provided for decisions related to evaluation, exercise and RM orthosis design.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Relative motion orthoses in the management of various hand conditions: a scoping review.J Hand Ther. 2016; 29: 405-432https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2016.07.001
- Effects of relative motion orthoses and re-direction exercises for extensor lag following proximal phalanx fractures; a case series report.in: Poster presentation at: American Society of Hand Therapists (ASHT) Conference. October 8th-11th. Denver, CO, 2015
McMahon R. Relative motion orthosis in proximal phalanx ORIF. Poster presentation at: Australian Hand Therapy Association (AHTA) Conference. October 18th-20th, 2019, Brisbane Australia.
- Two case reports-Use of relative motion orthoses to manage extensor tendon zones III-IV and sagittal band injury in adjacent fingers.J Hand Ther. 2017; 30: 546-557https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht2017.04.006
- Prescription of exercise relative motion orthoses to improve limited proximal interphalangeal joint movement: a prospective, multi-center, consecutive case series.J Hand Ther. 2021; (Online January 14)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht2021.09.006
- Achieving immediate active motion by using relative motion splinting after long extensor repair and sagittal band ruptures with tendon subluxation.Oper Tech Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 7 (1053/oa.2000.5972): 31-37
- Immediate controlled active motion following zones 4-7 extensor tendon repair.J Hand Ther. 2005; 18: 182-190https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2005.02.011
- Relative motion splint: active motion after extensor tendon injury and repair.J Hand Surg. 2014; 39: 1187-1194https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa2014.03.015
- Use of a relative motion flexion orthosis for postoperative management of zone I/II flexor digitorum profundus repair: a retrospective consecutive case series.J Hand Ther. 2020; 33: 296-304https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2019.05.002
- Relative motion flexion splinting for rehabilitation of flexor tendon repairs: a systematic review.Hand Ther Online. 2022; https://doi.org/10.1177/17589983211017584
- Relative motion orthoses: The concepts and application to hand therapy management of finger extensor tendon zone III and VII repairs, acute and chronic boutonniere deformity, and sagittal band injury.in: Skirven TM Osterman AL Fedorczyk J Amadio PC Felder S Shin EK Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity. 7th Edition. Elsevier, Philadelphia PA2020: 1496-1510
- Relative motion extension management of zone V-VI extensor tendon repairs: does international practice align with the current evidence?.J Hand Ther. 2020; 34: 76-89https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2019.12.0019
- A randomized clinical trial comparing early active motion programs: earlier hand function, TAM, orthotic satisfaction with a relative motion extension program for zone V and VI extensor tendon repairs.J Hand Ther. 2020; 33: 13-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2018.10.003
- Solving hand/finger pain problems with the pencil test and relative motion splinting.Plast Reconstruct Surg Global Open. 2017; 5https://doi.org/10.1097/GOX.0000000000001537
Feehan L, Ewald SG. Relative motion orthoses: A six-question decision making tool for thinking beyond thermoplastics. (Article currently in review for Relative Motion 2023 special issue)
- A paradigm shift in managing acute and chronic boutonniere deformity: anatomic rationale and early clinical results for the relative motion concept permitting immediate active motion and hand use.Ann Plastic Surg. 2020; 84: S141-S150https://doi.org/10.1097/SAP000000000002307
- Recent developments are changing extensor tendon management.Plast Reconstr Surg 2020. 2020; 145: 617e-628ehttps://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000006556