- •This normative data can be used with the Corbett Targeted Coin Test.
- •Median scores ranged from 28.7 to 53.3 seconds.
- •Dexterity to some extent decreased with age and increased with smaller hand spans.
Purpose of the Study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Defining dexterity—untangling the discourse in clinical practice.J Hand Ther. 2020; 33 (ISSN 0894-1130): 517-519https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2019.11.001
- Normative data for modified box and blocks test measuring upper-limb function via motion capture.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2014; 51: 918-932https://doi.org/10.1682/jrrd.2013.10.0228
- Repetitive finger movement and dexterity tasks in people with Parkinson's disease.Am J Occup Ther. 2019; 73: 1-8https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2019.028738
- Development of the variable dexterity test: construction, reliability and validity.Int J Ther Rehab. 2015; 22: 174-180https://doi.org/10.12968/ijtr.2015.22.4.174
- Adult norms for a commercially available Nine Hole Peg Test for finger dexterity.Am J Occup Ther. 2003; 57: 570-573https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.57.5.570
- Dexterity measurement across the age span (3-25 years) with Jebsen Hand Function Test—an observational study.Indian J Physiother Occup Ther. 2017; 11: 144-147https://doi.org/10.5958/0973-5674.2017.00092.2
- Occupational therapy practice framework: domain and process—fourth edition.Am J Occup Ther. 2020; 74: 4114-4128https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2020.74s2001
- Purdue manual dexterity testing: a cohort study of community-dwelling elderly.J Hand Ther. 2021; 34: 116-120https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2019.12.006
- Effects of visual perceptual intervention on visual-motor integration and activities of daily living performance of children with cerebral palsy.J Phys Ther Sci. 2015; 27: 411-413https://doi.org/10.1589/jpts.27.411
- Visual-motor integration in children with Prader-Willi syndrome.J Intellect Disabil Res. 2015; 59: 827-834https://doi.org/10.1111/jir.12197
- Relationship analysis between visual-motor integration ability and academic performance.J Hum Growth Dev. 2011; 21 (researchgate.net/publication/317462934_Relationship_analysis_between_visual-motor_integration_ability_and_academic_performance): 808-817
- Age-related differences in proprioceptive and visuo-proprioceptive function in relation to fine motor behavior.Eur J Ageing. 2014; 11: 221-232https://doi.org/10.1007/s10433-013-0304-6
- Hand and upper extremity injuries.(In: Pendleton HM, Schultz-Krohn W)Occupational Therapy Practice Skills for Physical Dysfunction. 8th ed. Elsevier, 2018: 972-1003
- Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis: Conservative therapeutic management.J Hand Ther. 2012; 25 (163-72)
- Conceptualization of a palm to finger translation and targeted coin placement test.J Hand Ther. 2018; 31: 151-153https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2017.11.017
- Development and initial validity of the in-hand manipulation assessment.Aust Occup Ther J. 2017; 65 (101111/1440-1630.12447): 135-145
- Content validity of the in-hand manipulation test.Am J Occup Ther. 1993; 47: 505-513https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.47.6.505
- The use of occupation-based assessments and intervention in the hand therapy setting—a survey.J Hand Ther. 2015; 28: 300-306https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2015.01.005
- The Purdue pegboard: norms for 14- to 19-year-olds.Am J Occup Ther. 1986; 40: 174-179https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.40.3.174
- Adult norms for the box and block test of manual dexterity.Am J Occup Ther. 1985; 39: 386-391https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.39.6.386
- Adult norms for the nine hole peg test of finger dexterity.Occup Ther J Res. 1985; 5: 24-38https://doi.org/10.1177/153944928500500102
- Normative values of the Michigan Hand Outcomes Questionnaire for patients with and without hand conditions.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017; 140 (425e–433e)https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000003581
- Norming plans for the NIH toolbox.Neurology. 2013; 80: S87-S92https://doi.org/10.1212/WNL.0b013e3182872e70
- Dexterity as measured with the 9-hole peg test (9-HPT) across the age span.J Hand Ther. 2015; 28: 53-60https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2014.09.002
- Effects of a new sensory re-education training tool on hand sensibility and manual dexterity in people with multiple sclerosis.NeuroRehabilitation. 2013; 32: 943-948https://doi.org/10.3233/nre-130917
- Responsiveness and validity of three dexterous function measures in stroke rehabilitation.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2010; 47: 563https://doi.org/10.1682/jrrd.2009.09.0155
- Restoration of arm and hand functions via noninvasive cervical cord neuromodulation after traumatic brain injury: a case study.Brain Inj. 2020; 34: 1771-1780https://doi.org/10.1080/02699052.2020.1850864
- Cervical spinal cord transcutaneous stimulation improves upper extremity and hand function in people with complete tetraplegia: a case study.IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2020; 28: 3167-3174https://doi.org/10.1109/TNSRE.2020.3048592
- Median, ulnar, and combined median-ulnar nerve injuries: functional outcome and return to productivity.J Trauma. 2001; 51: 687-692https://doi.org/10.1097/00005373-200110000-00011
- Effect of upper extremity nerve damage on activity participation, pain, depression, and quality of life.J Hand Surg Am. 2009; 34: 1682-1688https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2009.07.002
- The mechanical axes of the wrist are oriented obliquely to the anatomical axes.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: 169-177https://doi.org/10.2106/jbjs.i.01222
- In vivo analysis of carpal kinematics and comparative review of the literature.J Hand Surg Am. 2003; 28: 81-87https://doi.org/10.1053/jhsu.2003.50009
- In-vivo confirmation of the use of the dart thrower's motion during activities of daily living.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2012; 39: 373-378https://doi.org/10.1177/1753193412460149
- Wrist plane of motion and range during daily activities.Am J Occup Ther. 2018; 72: 1-10https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2018.026997
- Development and initial validity of the in-hand manipulation assessment.Aust Occup Ther J. 2018; 65: 135-145https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12447
- Trends in dexterity and normative values for the functional dexterity test (FDT).J Hand Ther. 2011; 24: 385https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2011.07.019
- Hand span influences optimal grip span in male and female teenagers.J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31: 1367-1372https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2006.06.014
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). Available at: cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html. Accessed November 4, 2021.
- Human handedness: a meta-analysis.Psychol Bull. 2020; 146: 481-524https://doi.org/10.1037/bul0000229
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: The authors whose names are listed above certify that they have no affiliations with or involvement in the Corbett Targeted Coin Test or non-financial interest in the subject matter or materials discussed in this manuscript.