- •A scoping review of hand function in children and adolescents with Down Syndrome.
- •Physical characteristics of the upper extremity in Down Syndrome are detailed.
- •The correlation between upper extremity physical characteristics and determinants of hand function is explored.
Abbreviations:DS (Down Syndrome), TD (Typically Developing), ID (Intellectual disability), M-ABC (Movement assessment battery for children), CoP (Centre of pressure), RTG (Reach to grasp), BOT2 (Bruininks- Oseretsky Test of Motor Proficicency -2), GMFM (Gross motor function measure), NMT (Neuromuscular tapping), T21 (Trisomy 21)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Contribution of physical and motor characteristics to functional performance in children and adolescents with down syndrome: a preliminary study.Med Sci Monit Basic Res. 2018; 24: 159-167https://doi.org/10.12659/MSMBR.910448
Sandra G. Bellamy and Eunice Yu Chiu Shen. Genetic Feedback- A Paediatric Perspective. Sixth Edition. Mosby/Elesiver 3251 Riverport Lane St. Louis, Missouri 63043; 2017.
- Manual dexterity of children and adolescents with down syndrome: systematic review of the literature.J Genet Syndr & Gene Ther. 2016; 7https://doi.org/10.4172/2157-7412.1000305
- Treadmill walking effects on grip strength in young men with down syndrome.Res Dev Disabil. 2013; 35: 288-293https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2013.10.032
- Effect of sport stacking on fine motor proficiency of children with Down syndrome.Int j sport stud. 2014; 4: 1010-1016
- Developmental Juvenile Osteology.2nd ed. Elesiver, 2016 (London, UK)
- Radiological features of the most common autosomal disorders: Trisomy 21–22 (Mongolism or Down syndrome), trisomy 18, trisomy 13–15, and the cri du chat syndrome.Clin Radiol. 1971; 22: 417-433https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-9260(71)80108-3
- Comparison of grip and pinch strength in adults with dexterity limitations to normative values.in: 3. Procedia Manuf, 2015: 5326-5333
- Hand Functions in the Child: Foundations for Remediation.2nd edition. Elesiver, 2006 (USA)
- Development of reaching and grasping skills in infants with Down syndrome.Res Dev Disabil. 2010; 31: 70-80https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2009.07.015
- Motor skill assessment in children with Down Syndrome: relationship between performance-based and teacher-report measures.Res Dev Disabil. 2014; 35: 3299-3312https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2014.08.001
ICF-An overview. PT6 Working paper (cdc.gov)
P ublic health classifications project – determinants of health; phase two: final report. classifications-project.pdf (nsw.gov.au)
- Skeletal dynamics of Down syndrome: a developing perspective.Bone. 2020; 133115215https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bone.2019.115215
- Bimanual coordination in typical and atypical infants: movement initiation, object touching and grasping.Res Dev Disabil. 2014; 35: 2416-2422https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2014.05.023
- Infants with Down syndrome and their interactions with objects: development of exploratory actions after reaching onset.Res Dev Disabil. 2013; 34: 1906-1916https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2013.03.001
- Development of motor planning for dexterity tasks in Trisomy 21.Res Dev Disabil. 2014; 35: 1562-1570https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2014.03.042
- Adolescents with down syndrome exhibit greater force and delay in onset of tapping movements.Perceptual and motor skills. 2012; 114 (10.2466%2F15.10.25.PMS.114.3.826-836): 826-836
- Clumsiness in fine motor tasks: evidence from the quantitative drawing evaluation of children with Down Syndrome.J Intellect Disabil Res. 2014; 59https://doi.org/10.1111/jir.12132
- Finger coordination in persons with Down syndrome: atypical patterns of coordination and the effects of practice.Exp brain res. Experimentelle Hirnforschung. Expérimentation cérébrale. 2002; 146: 345-355https://doi.org/10.1007/s00221-002-1189-3
- Specific grasp characteristics of children with Trisomy 21.Dev Psychobiol. 2010; 52: 782-793https://doi.org/10.1002/dev.20474
- Hand span influences optimal grip span in adolescents with Down syndrome.Nutr Hosp. 2017; 34: 626https://doi.org/10.20960/nh.612
- Evaluation of upper limb movements in children with Down syndrome: a systematic review.Infant Behav Dev. 2018; 51: 45-51https://doi.org/10.1016/j.infbeh.2018.03.001
- Grip strength and manual dexterity in Down Syndrome children.Fisioter. Pesqui. 2013; 20: 278-285https://doi.org/10.1590/S1809-29502013000300013
Campos, Ana, Francisco, Kelly, Savelsbergh, Geert & Rocha, Nelci. How do object size and rigidity affect reaching and grasping in infants with Down syndrome?Res Dev Disabil. 201; 32:246-52. doi: 10.1016/j.ridd.2010.09.023
- Grip and pinch strength in children with Down syndrome.Hand Therapy. 2016; 21 (10.1177%2F1758998316649102.): 85-89
- Improvements in manual dexterity relate to improvements in cognitive planning after assisted cycling therapy (ACT) in adolescents with down syndrome.Res Dev Disabils. 2015; 45-46: 261-270https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2015.08.003
- Does neuromuscular taping influence hand kinesiology? A pilot study on Down Syndrome.La Clin Ter. 2015; 166: e257-e263https://doi.org/10.7417/T.2015.1870
- Analysis of reach-to-grasp by school-aged children with down syndrome elucidates limitations in upper extremity motor control.Phys. Occup. Ther. Pediatr. 2017; 37: 1-15https://doi.org/10.1080/01942638.2016.1261979
- Object-related generativity in children with Down syndrome.Res Dev Disabil. 2014; 35: 3379-3385https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2014.07.024
Maryanne Bruni. Fine motor skills for children with Down Syndrome: a guide for parents and professionals. 2nd edition. 2006
Jeevanandham, Lakshmi Prabha. (2021). A short review on Dermatoglyphics.
- Fine motor skills in children with Down syndrome.Spec. Edukac. Rehabil. 2014; 13: 365-377https://doi.org/10.5937/specedreh13-7465
- Characterization and intervention for upper extremity exploration & reaching behaviors in infancy.J Hand Ther. 2014; 28https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2014.12.003
- Growing up with Down syndrome: development from 6 months to 10.7 years.Res Dev Disabil. 2016; 59: 437-450https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2016.09.019
- Relationships between task-oriented postural control and motor ability in children and adolescents with Down syndrome.Res Dev Disabil. 2012; 33: 1792-1798https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2012.05.002
- The motor repertoire in 3- to 5month old infants with Down syndrome.Res Dev Disabil. 2017; 67: 1-8https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ridd.2017.05.006
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: We declare that there is no conflicting interest, guiding this research.