- •An educational brochure improves disposal rates of unused opioids after upper extremity surgery.
- •Recruiting hand therapists in brochure distribution further increases opioid disposal rates.
- •Brochure administration is more effective when coupled an active discussion of opioid use.
- •Older age is associated with higher rates of opioid disposal.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Increases in drug and opioid-involved overdose deaths - United States, 2010-2015.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2016; 65: 1445-1452
- A public health strategy for the opioid crisis.Public Health Rep. 2018; 133: 24s-34shttps://doi.org/10.1177/0033354918793627
- The escalation of the opioid epidemic due to COVID-19 and resulting lessons about treatment alternatives.Am J Manag Care. 2020; 26: e202-e204
- Approach to pain management in chronic opioid users undergoing orthopaedic surgery.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014; 22: 614-622https://doi.org/10.5435/JAAOS-22-10-614
- Iatrogenic opioid dependence in the United States: Are surgeons the gatekeepers?.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 728-730https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000001904
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention National Center for Health Statistics. Multiple cause of death 1999–2010. CDC WONDER online database, 2015. Data provided by the 57 vital statistics jurisdictions through the Vital Statistics Cooperative Program. Accessed 17 December 2020.
- Vital Signs: Demographic and substance use trends among heroin users - United States, 2002-2013.Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015; 64: 719-725
- Prescription opioid analgesics commonly unused after surgery: A systematic review.JAMA Surg. 2017; 152: 1066-1071https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2017.0831
- Risk of prolonged opioid use among opioid-naïve patients following common hand surgery procedures.J Hand Surg Am. 2016; 41: 947-957https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2016.07.113
- Long-term analgesic use after low-risk surgery: a retrospective cohort study.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 425-430https://doi.org/10.1001/archinternmed.2011.1827
- Rates and risk factors for prolonged opioid use after major surgery: population based cohort study.Bmj. 2014; 348: g1251https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.g1251
- Trends and predictors of opioid use after total knee and total hip arthroplasty.Pain. 2016; 157: 1259-1265https://doi.org/10.1097/j.pain.0000000000000516
- Empowering post-surgical patients to improve opioid disposal: A before and after quality improvement study.J Am Coll Surg. 2018; 226 (235-240.e3)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2017.11.023
- A simple brochure improves disposal of unused opioids: An observational cross-sectional study.Hand (NY). 2020; (1558944720959898. DOI 10.1177%2F1558944720959898)
- In the physio we trust": A qualitative study on patients' preferences for physiotherapy.Physiother Theory Pract. 2017; 33: 535-549https://doi.org/10.1080/09593985.2017.1328720
- The influence of the physiotherapist-patient relationship on pain and disability.Physiother Theory Pract. 1997; 13: 89-96https://doi.org/10.3109/09593989709036451
- SMOG grading-a new readability formula.Journal of Reading. 1969; 23: 639-646
- Development of SMOG-Cro readability formula for healthcare communication and patient education.Collegium antropologicum. 2015; 39: 11-20
- Logistic regression.Topics in biostatistics. 2007; 404: 273-301
Soper, D (n.d.). A-priori sample size calculator for multiple regression. Retrieved from Available at: https://www.danielsoper.com/statcalc. Accessed 2020 September 23.
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Earlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Opioid information pamphlet increases postoperative opioid disposal rates: a before versus after quality improvement study.Can J Anaesth. 2016; 63: 31-37https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-015-0502-0
- Education increases disposal of unused opioids after total joint arthroplasty: A cluster-randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2020; 102: 953-960https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.19.01166
- What do patients do with unused opioid medications?.Clin J Pain. 2014; 30: 654-662https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ajp.0000435447.96642.f4
- Potential for harm associated with discharge opioids after hospital stay: A systematic review.Drugs. 2020; 80: 573-585https://doi.org/10.1007/s40265-020-01294-z
- Prospective evaluation of an opioid reduction protocol in hand surgery.J Hand Surg Am. 2018; 43: 516-522https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2018.01.021
- A prospective evaluation of opioid utilization after upper-extremity surgical procedures: Identifying consumption patterns and determining prescribing guidelines.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2016; 98: e89https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.15.00614
- The relationship between depression, anxiety, and pain interference with therapy referral and utilization among hand patients.J Hand Ther. 2020; 35: 24-31
- The integration of pain sciences into clinical practice.J Hand Ther. 1997; 10: 86-95https://doi.org/10.1016/S0894-1130(97)80063-4
- Occupational therapy's unique contribution to chronic pain management: A scoping review.Pain Res Manag. 2018; 5378451https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/5378451
- I looked to her as a guide: the therapeutic relationship in hand therapy.Disabil Rehabil. 2011; 33: 872-881https://doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2010.511419
- Fundamentals of Hand Therapy-E-Book: Clinical Reasoning and Treatment Guidelines for Common Diagnoses of the Upper Extremity.Elsevier Health Sciences, 2014
- Supervision of occupational therapy level II fieldwork students: Impact on and predictors of clinician productivity.Am J Occup Ther. 2015; 69 (6901260010p1-7)https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2015.013532
- The use of occupation-based assessments and intervention in the hand therapy setting: A survey.J Hand Ther. 2015; 28: 300-305https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2015.01.005
- The impact of an educational program on patient practices for safe use, storage, and disposal of opioids at a comprehensive cancer center.Oncologist. 2017; 22: 115-121https://doi.org/10.1634/theoncologist.2016-0266
- Educate patients about proper disposal of unused Rx medications—for their safety.Current Psychiatry. 2015; 4 (60, 67)
- Factors predicting opioid dependence in patients undergoing surgery for degenerative spondylolisthesis: analysis from the MarketScan databases.J Neurosurg Spine. 2018; 29: 271-278https://doi.org/10.3171/2018.1.SPINE171258
- Prescription opioid misuse and comorbid substance use: Past 30-day prevalence, correlates and co-occurring behavioral indicators in the 2016 National Survey on Drug Use and Health.Am J Addict. 2019; 28: 111-118https://doi.org/10.1111/ajad.12866
- Preoperative opioid misuse is associated with increased morbidity and mortality after elective orthopaedic surgery.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2015; 473: 2402-2412https://doi.org/10.1007/s11999-015-4173-5
- Factors predictive of prolonged postoperative narcotic usage following orthopaedic surgery.JBJS Rev. 2020; 8: e0154https://doi.org/10.2106/JBJS.RVW.19.00154
- Preoperative and postoperative opiate use by the arthroplasty patient.J Arthroplasty. 2016; 31: 2081-2084https://doi.org/10.1016/j.arth.2016.03.061
- Home disposal kits for leftover opioid medications after surgery: Do they work?.J Surg Res. 2020; 245: 396-402https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2019.07.034
- Incidence of and risk factors for chronic opioid use among opioid-naive patients in the postoperative period.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1286-1293https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2016.3298
- Elective shoulder surgery in the opioid naïve: Rates of and risk factors for long-term postoperative opioid use.Am J Sports Med. 2019; 47: 1051-1056
- Patient factors associated with opioid consumption in the month following major surgery.Ann Surg. 2021; 273: 507-515https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000003509
- Unused opioid analgesics and drug disposal following outpatient dental surgery: A randomized controlled trial.Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016; 168: 328-334https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2016.08.016
- Opioid-prescribing patterns, storage, handling, and disposal in postoperative pediatric urology patients.J Pediatr Urol. 2019; 15 (260.e1-260.e7)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpurol.2019.02.009
- An epidemic in the midst of a pandemic: opioid use disorder and COVID-19.Ann Intern Med. 2020; 173: 57-58https://doi.org/10.7326/M20-1141
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: All named authors hereby declare that they have no conflicts of interest to disclose.