- •Most respondents believe occupation-based interventions should be performed by hand therapists.
- •41% of the respondents indicated that they use occupation-based interventions 26%-50% of the time with their clients.
- •The most frequently used assessment was the Disabilities of the Shoulder Arm & Hand.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Issue in applying occupation-based intervention in clinical practice: a delphi study.Procedia - Soc Behav Sci. 2016; 23: 272-282
- The benefits and challenges to the use of occupation in hand therapy.Occup Ther Health Care. 2010; 24: 130-146
- A systematic review of the benefits of occupation-based intervention for patients with upper extremity musculoskeletal disorders.J Hand Ther. 2019; 32: 141-152https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2018.04.001
- Comparison of therapeutic activities with therapeutic exercises in the rehabilitation of young adult patients with hand injuries.J Hand Surg. 2007; 32A: 1429-1435
WHO.INT. 2021. International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health (ICF). [online] Available at: <https://www.who.int/standards/classifications/international-classification-of-functioning-disability-and-health> [Accessed May 3, 2021].
Amini, D., 2021. Occupational Therapy's Role with Rehabilitation of the Hand. [online] Aota.org. Available at: <https://www.aota.org/∼/media/Corporate/Files/AboutOT/Professionals/WhatIsOT/RDP/Facts/Hand%20Therapy%20fact%20sheet.ashx> [Accessed May 3 2021].
- Improving the quality of web surveys: The checklist for reporting results of internet E-surveys (CHERRIES).J Med Internet Res. 2004; 6: 334https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.6.3.e34
- The use of occupation-based assessments and intervention in the hand therapy setting - A survey.J Hand Ther. 2015; 28: 300-306https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2015.01.005
- Hand therapist use of patient report outcome (PRO) in practice: a survey study.J Hand Ther. 2014; 27: 299-308https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2014.07.001
- Outcome Measure Use in Occupational Therapy for Upper Extremity Rehabilitation: Results of a Survey of Therapist Clinical Practices.Retrieved from Sophia, the St. Catherine University repository website, 2011https://sophia.stkate.edu/ma_osot/1Date accessed: May 1, 2020
- Convergent validity and responsiveness of the Candian Occupational Performance Measure for the evaluation of therapeutic outcomes for patients with carpometacarpal osteoarthritis.J Hand Ther. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2020.03.011
- Embracing an occupational perspective: Occupation-based interventions in hand therapy.Aus Occup Ther J. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12268
- Functional outcomes post carpal tunnel release: a modified replication of a previous study.J Hand Ther. 2009; 22: 240-248
- Relationship of the Patient-Specific Functional Scale to commonly used clinical measures in hand osteoarthritis.J Hand Ther. 2017; 4: 538-545
- The benefits of and challenges to the use of occupation in hand therapy.Occup Ther in Health Care. 2010; 2: 130-146
- The answer is 17 years, what is the question: understanding time lags in translational research.J R Soc Med. 2011; 104: 510-520https://doi.org/10.1258/jrsm.2011.110180
- Assessments used in occupational therapy practice: an exploratory study.Occup Ther in Healthcare. 2009; 23: 302-318
- The inclusion of activities of daily living in flexor tendon rehabilitation: a survey.J Hand Ther. 2014; 27: 23-29https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2013.09.007
- Linking commonly used hand therapy outcome measures to individual areas of the International Classification of Functioning: A systematic review.J Hand Ther. 2019; 32: 243-261https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2017.11.039
- Occupation-based intervention versus rote exercise in modified constraint-induced movement therapy for patients with median and ulnar nerve injuries: a randomized controlled trial.Clin Rehabil. 2017; 31: 1087-1097https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215516672276
- Integration of occupation-based intervention in hand injury rehabilitation: A Randomized Controlled Trial.J Hand Ther. 2016; 29: 30-40https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2015.09.00