- ●A systematic review was performed on studies utilizing 3D printed orthoses for musculoskeletal conditions of the elbow, wrist, hand and digits in clinical settings.
- ●The 10 studies included in this systematic review report on actual patient use of 3D printed orthoses.
- ●The 3D printing process of orthoses for the upper extremity remains complex and under-utilized.
- ●There is a need for more clinical trials to study the benefits of 3D printed orthoses compared with custom made low temperature thermoplastic orthoses for patients in the hand therapy setting.
Purpose of the Study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
American Society of Hand Therapists. Practice management: orthosis versus splint. Available at: https://www.asht.org/practice/durable-medical-equipment-dme/orthotics/coding#Terminology. Accessed June 14, 2021.
- The 2019 practice analysis of hand therapy and the use of orthoses by certified hand therapists.J Hand Ther. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2021.04.008
American Society of Hand Therapists. Practice management: coding. Available at: https://www.asht.org/practice/durable-medical-equipment-dme/orthotics/coding#%22Orthosis%22%20Versus%20%22Splint%22. Accessed June 14, 2021.
- 3D printing technology applied to orthosis manufacturing: narrative review.Ann Palliat Med. 2020; 9: 4262-4270https://doi.org/10.21037/apm-20-1185
- A current snapshot of the state of 3D printing in hand rehabilitation.J Hand Ther. 2020; 33: 156-163
- Design of an orthopedic product by using additive manufacturing technology: the arm splint.J Med Syst. 2018; 42: 1-15
- The use of 3D printed customized casts in children with upper extremity fractures: a report of two cases.Arc Bone Joint Surg. 2021; 9: 126-130
- Fast production of customized three-dimensional-printed hand splints.Rap Prototyp J. 2020; 26/1: 134-144https://doi.org/10.1108/RPJ-01-2019-0009
- Analysis and comparison of wrist splint designs using the finite element method: multi-material three-dimensional printing compared to typical existing practice with thermoplastics. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H.J Eng Med. 2017; 231: 881-897
- Conventional vs 3-dimensional printed cast wear comfort.Hand. 2020; 15: 388-392
- Automated 3D-printed finger orthosis versus manual orthosis preparation by occupational therapy students: preparation time, product weight, and user satisfaction.J Hand Ther. 2020; 33: 174-179
- Customized designs of short thumb orthoses using 3D hand parametric models.Assist Tech. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1080/104004355.2019.1709917
- The functional effect of 3D-printing individualized orthosis for patients with peripheral nerve injuries: three case reports.Medicine. 2020; 99: 1-6
- A critical analysis of a hand orthosis reverse engineering and 3D printing process.Appl Bionics Biomech. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/8347478
- Application of 3D–printed and patient-specific cast for the treatment of distal radius fractures: initial experience.3D Print Med. 2017; 3: 1-9
- Production time and user satisfaction of 3-dimensional printed orthoses for chronic hand conditions compared with conventional orthoses: a prospective case series.J Rehab Med. 2021; 4: jrmcc00049
- Innovations with 3-dimensional printing in physical medicine and rehabilitation: a review of the literature.PM R. 2016; 8: 1201-1212https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmrj.2016.07.003
- A Novel instant 3-dimensional printing system for postoperative fracture patients: a comparative cohort study. Medical Science Monitor.Int Med J Exp Clin Res. 2021; 27: e928240-e928241
- An alternative to plaster cast treatment in a pediatric trauma center using the CAD/CAM technology to manufacture customized three-dimensional-printed orthoses in a totally hospital context: a feasibility study.J Ped Orth B. 2019; 28: 248-255
- Application of 3D-printed orthopedic cast for the treatment of forearm fractures: finite element analysis and comparative clinical assessment.BioMed Res Intl. 2020; https://doi.org/10.1155/2020/9569530
- How to properly use the PRISMA Statement.Syst Rev. 2021; 10: 117https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-021-01671-z
- Methodological index for non-randomized studies (MINORS): development and validation of a new instrument.ANZ J Surg. 2003; 73: 712-716
Oxford centre for evidence-based medicine 2011 levels of evidence. Available at: https://www.cebm.ox.ac.uk/resources/levels-of-evidence/oxford-centre-for-evidence-based-medicine-levels-of-evidence-march-2009, Accessed 29 oct 2021.
- Tactile stimulation programs in patients with hand dysesthesia after a peripheral nerve injury: A systematic review.J Hand Ther. 2021; 34: 3-17
- Higgins JP Thomas J Chandler J Cumpston M Li T Page MJ Welch VA. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions. John Wiley & Sons, 2019
- The application of three-dimensional printed finger splints for post hand burn patients: a case series investigation.Ann Rehab Med. 2018; 42: 634-638
- Use of 3D printed orthesis and occupational therapeutic treatment in rhizarthrosis.Brazil Notebooks of Occ Ther. 2020; (Ahead of Print)https://doi.org/10.4322/2526-8910.ctoAO2083
- Effect of personalized wrist orthosis for wrist pain with three-dimensional scanning and printing technique: a preliminary, randomized, controlled, open-label study.Prosth Orth Int. 2018; 42: 636-643
- Biomaterials: polylactic acid and 3D printing processes for orthosis and prosthesis.Materiale plastice. 2017; 54: 98-102
- A survey of client experiences with orthotics using the QUEST 2.0.J Hand Ther. 2018; 31: 538-543
- Development and measurement properties of the Orthotics and Prosthetics Users’ Survey (OPUS): a comprehensive set of clinical outcome instruments.Prosth Orth Int. 2003; 27: 191-206
- A systematic review of the measurement properties of the patient-rated wrist evaluation.J Orth Sports Phys Ther. 2015; 45: 289-298
- The Patient-Rated Wrist Evaluation (PRWE)© User Manual.McMaster University, Hamilton2007
Demers. L, Weiss-Lambrou, R, Ska, B. The Quebec user evaluation of satisfaction with assistive technology (QUEST 2.0): an overview and progress. Tech Disability, 14, 101-105.
- Validity and responsiveness of the jebsen–taylor hand function test.J Hand Surg. 2010; 35: 30-37
- Stability of the Jebsen-Taylor hand function test across three test sessions.Am J Occu Ther. 1992; 46: 647-649
- Assessing results after distal radius fracture treatment: a comparison of objective and subjective tools.Ger Ortho Surg Rehab. 2011; 2: 155-160
- Mallet finger lattice casts using 3D printing.J Healthc Eng. 2019; https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/4765043
- Low- cost digital fabrication approach for thumb orthoses.Rap Prot J. 2017; 23/6: 1020-1031
- Rapid customization system for 3D-printed splint using programmable modeling technique–a practical approach.3D Print Med. 2018; 4: 1-21
- 3D printing of patient-specific neck splints for the treatment of post-burn neck contractures.Burns Traum. 2018; 6: 1-3
- Comparison of 3D scanning versus traditional methods of capturing foot and ankle morphology for the fabrication of orthoses: a systematic review.J Foot Ank Res. 2021; 14: 1-11
- Feasibility of designing, manufacturing and delivering 3D printed ankle-foot orthoses: a systematic review.J Foot Ank Res. 2019; 12: 1-12
- Overview of in-hospital 3D printing and practical applications in hand surgery.BioMed Res Int. 2021; 2021https://doi.org/10.1155/2021/4650245
- In-hospital professional production of patient-specific 3D-printed devices for hand and wrist rehabilitation.Hand Surg Rehab. 2021; 40: 126-133https://doi.org/10.1016/j/hansur/2020.10.016
JHT Read for Credit
Quiz: # 912
- # 1.The study design is
- b.case series
- c.systematic review
- d.prospective cohort
- # 2.The 3D printed orthotics were an alternative for casts whose purpose was
- b.restoration of ROM
- # 3.The study investigates the ___________ of 3D printed orthotics in hand therapy
- d.all of the above
- # 4.How many articles were found that were RCTs
- # 5.There are significant hurdles that will need to be crossed before 3D printed orthotics become standard in hand therapy practices
- a.not true