- •We determined that the early mobilization of a distal radius fractures after volar locking plate fixation did not provide any benefit in pain relief for the patient.
- •However, patients who underwent early mobilization have more favorable disability of the arm, shoulder, and hand scores and higher grip power at 6 weeks, 3 months, and 6 months postoperatively, though the difference narrowed with time.
- •Early mobilization improves the postoperative range of motion compared to late mobilization at 6 weeks and 3 months postoperatively, but does not show an advantage at 6 months postoperatively.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Fractures of the distal radius treated by internal fixation and early function. A prospective study of 73 consecutive patients.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2000; 82: 340-344
- The frequency and epidemiology of hand and forearm fractures in the United States.J Hand Surg Am. 2001; 26: 908-915
- Distal radius and ulna fractures.in: Bucholz RW Beaty JH Rockwood CA Green DP Rockwood and Green's Fractures in Adults. Vol 1. eds. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2010: 829-880
- Distal Radius Fractures. StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing Copyright © 2020.StatPearls Publishing LLC., 2020
- Trends in the United States in the treatment of distal radial fractures in the elderly.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 1868-1873
- Epidemiology and changed surgical treatment methods for fractures of the distal radius: a registry analysis of 42,583 patients in Stockholm County, Sweden, 2004-2010.Acta Orthop. 2013; 84: 292-296
- Incidence of distal radius fracture surgery in Finns aged 50 years or more between 1998 and 2016 - too many patients are yet operated on?.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2018; 19: 70
- Evaluation and management of osteoporosis and sarcopenia in patients with distal radius fractures.Clin Orthop Surg. 2020; 12: 9-21
- The extended flexor carpi radialis approach: a new perspective for the distal radius fracture.Tech Hand Upper Extrem Surg. 2001; 5: 204-211
- Percutaneous fixation with Kirschner wires versus volar locking-plate fixation in adults with dorsally displaced fracture of distal radius: five-year follow-up of a randomized controlled trial.Bone Joint J. 2019; 101 (-b): 978-983
- Treatment of complex fractures of the distal radius: a prospective randomised comparison of external fixation 'versus' locked volar plating.Injury. 2012; 43: 174-179
- Should unstable extra-articular distal radial fractures be treated with fixed-angle volar-locked plates or percutaneous Kirschner wires? A prospective randomised controlled trial.Injury. 2011; 42: 162-166
- Volar fixed-angle plate fixation for unstable distal radius fractures in the elderly patient.J Hand Surg Am. 2004; 29: 96-102
- Type C distal radial fractures treated with conventional AO plates: an easy and cost-saving solution in a locking plate era.Int Orthop. 2013; 37: 483-488
- Physiotherapy after volar plating of wrist fractures is effective using a home exercise program.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2009; 90: 537-544
- Mechanical failure of the distal radius volar locking plate.J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). 2013; 21: 332-336
- The treatment of unstable distal radius fractures with volar fixation.Hand Surg. 2000; 5: 103-112
- Evidence based postoperative treatment of distal radius fractures following internal locking plate fixation.Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2015; 82: 33-40
- Clinical outcomes of bipolar hemiarthroplasty versus total hip arthroplasty: assessing the potential impact of cement use and pre-injury activity levels in elderly patients with femoral neck fractures.Hip Pelvis. 2019; 31: 63-74
- Influence of postoperative immobilization on pain control of patients with distal radius fracture treated with volar locked plating: A prospective, randomized clinical trial.Injury. 2019; 50: 386-391
- Accelerated rehabilitation compared with a standard protocol after distal radial fractures treated with volar open reduction and internal fixation: a prospective, randomized, controlled study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 1621-1630
- A comparison of the effect of one, three, or six weeks of immobilization on function and pain after open reduction and internal fixation of distal radial fractures in adults: a randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018; 100: 1118-1125
- Early rehabilitation of distal radius fractures stabilized by volar locking plate: a prospective randomized pilot study.J Wrist Surg. 2017; 6: 102-112
- Wrist mobilization following volar plate fixation of fractures of the distal part of the radius.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008; 90: 1297-1304
- Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015: elaboration and explanation.Bmj. 2016; 354: i4086
- The Cochrane Collaboration's tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.Bmj. 2011; 343: d5928
- RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.Bmj. 2019; 366: l4898
- Operating characteristics of a rank correlation test for publication bias.Biometrics. 1994; 50: 1088-1101
- Bias in meta-analysis detected by a simple, graphical test.Bmj. 1997; 315: 629-634
- Synthesizing standardized mean-change measures.Br J Math Stat Psychol. 1988; 41: 257-278
- JS S. - Influence of postoperative immobilization on pain control of patients with distal.Injury. 2019; 50: 386-391
- A retrospective pilot study comparing the number of therapy visits required to regain functional wrist and forearm range of motion following volar plating of a distal radius fracture.J Hand Ther. 2009; 22 (quiz 319): 312-318
- Volar locking plate fixation of distal radius fractures: splint versus immediate mobilization.J Wrist Surg. 2018; 7: 237-242
- Early mobilization versus splinting after surgical management of distal radius fractures.Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2020; 117: 445-451
- Prospective study of comminuted articular distal radius fractures stabilized by volar plating in the elderly.Int Orthop. 2018; 42: 2243-2248
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: All named authors hereby declare that they have no conflicts of interest to disclose.