- •Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis produces significant impairment, but few studies have related radiographic scores to functional and pain-based measures.
- •Use of generalized estimating equations enabled analysis of bilateral data, eliminating confounding personal variables.
- •More advanced radiographic Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis is associated with lower grip strength and poorer self-reported functional outcomes
- •Lower radial subluxation scores are associated with higher pain scores and lower grip strength.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Prevalence of symptomatic hand osteoarthritis and its impact on functional status among the elderly: The Framingham Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 1021-1027
- Relationship between symptoms and structural change in osteoarthritis: what are the important targets for therapy?.J Rheumatol. 2005; 32: 1147-1149
- Association between radiographic features of knee osteoarthritis and pain: results from two cohort studies.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2844
- Osteo-arthrosis. Prevalence in the population and relationship between symptoms and x-ray changes.Ann Rheum Dis. 1966; 25: 1
- Prevalence, incidence and progression of hand osteoarthritis in the general population: the Framingham Osteoarthritis Study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011; 70: 1581-1586
- Disability induced by hand osteoarthritis: are patients with more symptoms at digits 2–5 interphalangeal joints different from those with more symptoms at the base of the thumb?.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2004; 12: 366-373
- Relationship of radiographic and clinical variables to pinch and grip strength among individuals with osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2005; 52: 1424-1430
- Current concepts of the anatomy of the thumb trapeziometacarpal joint.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2011; 36: 170-182
- Prevalence and pattern of radiographic hand osteoarthritis and association with pain and disability (the Rotterdam study).Ann Rheum Dis. 2005; 64: 682-687
- A cross-sectional study of the association between Heberden's nodes, radiographic osteoarthritis of the hands, grip strength, disability and pain.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2001; 9: 606-611
- Efficacy of combined conservative therapies on clinical outcomes in patients with thumb base osteoarthritis: protocol for a randomised, controlled trial (COMBO).BMJ Open. 2017; 7e014498
- Inter-rater reproducibility of a functional index for hand osteoarthritis (HOA).Osteoarthritis Cart. 1997; 5: 57
- Validation of an algofunctional index for osteoarthritis of the hand.Revue du Rhumatisme et des Maladies Osteoarticulaires-Edition Francaise. 1995; 62: 43S
- Sensitivity to change of the functional index for hand osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2000; 8: S25-S28
- The carpometacarpal stress view radiograph in the evaluation of trapeziometacarpal joint laxity.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2009; 34: 1402-1406
- Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis. Staging as a rationale for treatment.Hand Clin. 1987; 3: 455-471
- Atlas of individual radiographic features in osteoarthritis, revised.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007; 15: A1-A56
- Clinical assessment of the thumb trapeziometacarpal joint.Hand Clin. 2001; 17: 185-195
- Trapeziometacarpal subluxation predisposes to incident trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis (OA): the Framingham Study.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2005; 13: 953-957
- JAMAR Hydrolic Hand Dynamomometer User Instructions.Lafayette. 2004;
- The 2014 ABJS Nicolas Andry Award: the puzzle of the thumb: mobility, stability, and demands in opposition.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 3605-3622
- The effect of hand osteoarthritis on grip and pinch strength and hand function in postmenopausal women.Clin Rheumatol. 2003; 22: 420-424
- Estimates of prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States, part II.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 26-35
- Radial subluxation in relation to hand strength and radiographic severity in trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2018;
- Thumb base involvement in symptomatic hand osteoarthritis is associated with more pain and functional disability.Ann Rheum Dis. 2010; 69: 585-587
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interests: DJH is a consultant to Pfizer, Lilly, TLCBio and Merck Serono. LD received partial reimbursement of conference registration cost from Pfizer.
Funding: This work was supported by National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC ) Program Grant (grant number APP1091302 ) and by the Lincoln Centre for Bone and Joint Diseases . KB is supported by an NHMRC Principal Research Fellowship. DH is supported by an NHMRC Practitioner Fellowship. The funder had no role in the study design.