- •Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis produces significant impairment, but few studies have related radiographic scores to functional and pain-based measures.
- •Use of generalized estimating equations enabled analysis of bilateral data, eliminating confounding personal variables.
- •More advanced radiographic Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis is associated with lower grip strength and poorer self-reported functional outcomes
- •Lower radial subluxation scores are associated with higher pain scores and lower grip strength.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Prevalence of symptomatic hand osteoarthritis and its impact on functional status among the elderly: The Framingham Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 1021-1027
- Relationship between symptoms and structural change in osteoarthritis: what are the important targets for therapy?.J Rheumatol. 2005; 32: 1147-1149
- Association between radiographic features of knee osteoarthritis and pain: results from two cohort studies.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2844
- Osteo-arthrosis. Prevalence in the population and relationship between symptoms and x-ray changes.Ann Rheum Dis. 1966; 25: 1
- Prevalence, incidence and progression of hand osteoarthritis in the general population: the Framingham Osteoarthritis Study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011; 70: 1581-1586
- Disability induced by hand osteoarthritis: are patients with more symptoms at digits 2–5 interphalangeal joints different from those with more symptoms at the base of the thumb?.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2004; 12: 366-373
- Relationship of radiographic and clinical variables to pinch and grip strength among individuals with osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum. 2005; 52: 1424-1430
- Current concepts of the anatomy of the thumb trapeziometacarpal joint.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2011; 36: 170-182
- Prevalence and pattern of radiographic hand osteoarthritis and association with pain and disability (the Rotterdam study).Ann Rheum Dis. 2005; 64: 682-687
- A cross-sectional study of the association between Heberden's nodes, radiographic osteoarthritis of the hands, grip strength, disability and pain.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2001; 9: 606-611
- Efficacy of combined conservative therapies on clinical outcomes in patients with thumb base osteoarthritis: protocol for a randomised, controlled trial (COMBO).BMJ Open. 2017; 7e014498
- Inter-rater reproducibility of a functional index for hand osteoarthritis (HOA).Osteoarthritis Cart. 1997; 5: 57
- Validation of an algofunctional index for osteoarthritis of the hand.Revue du Rhumatisme et des Maladies Osteoarticulaires-Edition Francaise. 1995; 62: 43S
- Sensitivity to change of the functional index for hand osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2000; 8: S25-S28
- The carpometacarpal stress view radiograph in the evaluation of trapeziometacarpal joint laxity.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2009; 34: 1402-1406
- Trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis. Staging as a rationale for treatment.Hand Clin. 1987; 3: 455-471
- Atlas of individual radiographic features in osteoarthritis, revised.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007; 15: A1-A56
- Clinical assessment of the thumb trapeziometacarpal joint.Hand Clin. 2001; 17: 185-195
- Trapeziometacarpal subluxation predisposes to incident trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis (OA): the Framingham Study.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2005; 13: 953-957
- JAMAR Hydrolic Hand Dynamomometer User Instructions.Lafayette. 2004;
- The 2014 ABJS Nicolas Andry Award: the puzzle of the thumb: mobility, stability, and demands in opposition.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014; 472: 3605-3622
- The effect of hand osteoarthritis on grip and pinch strength and hand function in postmenopausal women.Clin Rheumatol. 2003; 22: 420-424
- Estimates of prevalence of arthritis and other rheumatic conditions in the United States, part II.Arthritis Rheum. 2008; 58: 26-35
- Radial subluxation in relation to hand strength and radiographic severity in trapeziometacarpal osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2018;
- Thumb base involvement in symptomatic hand osteoarthritis is associated with more pain and functional disability.Ann Rheum Dis. 2010; 69: 585-587
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interests: DJH is a consultant to Pfizer, Lilly, TLCBio and Merck Serono. LD received partial reimbursement of conference registration cost from Pfizer.
Funding: This work was supported by National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Program Grant (grant number APP1091302) and by the Lincoln Centre for Bone and Joint Diseases. KB is supported by an NHMRC Principal Research Fellowship. DH is supported by an NHMRC Practitioner Fellowship. The funder had no role in the study design.