- •Prescription of exercise relative motion orthoses is common practice with limited evidence.
- •Exercise relative motion orthosis (RM) orthosis were implemented for 6 weeks to improve limited proximal interphalangeal joint motion.
- •Active and passive proximal interphalangeal joint movement improved, agreeing with unpublished results.
- •Patient comments were mostly positive about exercise RM orthosis wear.
- •Orthotic wear instruction for exercise RM orthoses differs from protective RM orthoses.
Purpose of study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Relative motion orthoses in the management of various hand conditions: a scoping review.J Hand Therapy. 2016; 29: 405-432
- Effects of relative motion orthoses and re-direction exercises for extensor lag following proximal phalanx fractures; a case series report.in: Poster presentation at: American Society of Hand Therapists (ASHT) Conference. October 8th –11th, Denver, CO2015
- Relative Motion Orthosis in Proximal Phalanx ORIF.in: Poster presentation at: Australian Hand Therapy Association (AHTA) Conference. October 18th - 20th, Brisbane, AUS2019
- Flexor tendon rehabilitation in the 21st century: a systematic review.J Hand Therapy. 2019; 32: 165-174
- Early controlled mobilisation of potentially unstable extra-articular hand fractures.J Hand Therapy. 2003; 16: 161-170
Fess EW. Orthoses for Mobilization of Joints: Principles and Methods. In: Skirven TM, Osterman AL, Fedorczyk J, Amadio PC, Felder S, Shin EK, eds.Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity, 7th Edition.2020 Ch 108:1511-1521.
- How to Use the ICF: A Practical Manual for Using the International Classification of functioning, Disability and Health (ICF). Exposure Draft for Comment (October).World Health Organization, Geneva2013
- Goniometry of the proximal and distal interphalangeal joints part I: a survey of instrumentation and placement preferences.Journal of Hand Therapy. 2001; 14: 18-22
- Goniometry.(In: MacDermid J, Solomon G, Valdes K, eds)3rd Edition. American Society of Hand Therapists Clinical Assessment Recommendations. 6. Impairment-Based Conditions. New Jersey, 2015: 72-80 (Ch)
- Studies comparing numerical rating scale, verbal rating scale and visual analogue scales for assessment of pain intensity in adults: a systematic literature review.J Pain and Symptom Management. 2011; 41: 1073-1093
- Use of a relative motion flexion orthosis for postoperative management of zone I/II flexor digitorum profundus repair: a retrospective consecutive case series.J Hand Therapy. 2020; 33: 296-304
Merritt WH, Howell JW. Relative Motion Orthoses: The concepts and application to hand therapy management of finger extensor tendon zone III and VII repairs, acute and chronic boutonniere deformity, and sagittal band injury. In: Skirven TM, Osterman AL, Fedorczyk J, Amadio PC, Felder S, Shin EK, eds. Rehabilitation of the Hand and Upper Extremity, 7th Edition.2020 Ch 107:1496-1510.
- A paradigm shift in managing acute and chronic boutonniere deformity: anatomic rationale and early clinical results for the relative motion concept permitting immediate active motion and hand use.Ann plastic surg. 2020; 84: S141-S150
- The accuracy of goniometric measurements of proximal interphalangeal joints in fresh cadavers: comparison between methods of measurement, types of goniometers, and fingers.J Hand Therapy. 2007; 20: 12-19
- The reliability and measurement error of protractor-based goniometry of the fingers: a systematic review.J Hand Therapy. 2017; 30: 457-467
- What do we know about the reliability and validity of physical examination tests used to examine the upper extremity?.Journal of Hand Surgery (Amer). 1999; 24: 185-193
- Goniometry of the proximal and distal interphalangeal joints, Part II: placement preferences, interrater reliability, and concurrent validity.J Hand Therapy. 2001; 14: 23-29
- Reliability of standard goniometry and diagrammatic recordings of finger joint angles: a comparative study with healthy subjects and non-professional raters.BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2013; 14: 17-27
- The functional range of motion of the finger joints.J Hand Surgery (European Volume). 2014; 40: 406-411
- Sollerman hand function test: a standardized method and its use in tetraplegic patients.Scandinavian J Plastic Reconstruction Surgery and Hand Surgery. 1995; 29: 117-176
- Functional range of motion of the joints of the hand.J Hand Surgery (Amer). 1990; 15: 240-243
- Results of surgical treatment of chronic boutonniere deformity: An analysis of prognostic factors.(In: J Strickland, JB Steichen (eds))Difficult Problems in Hand Surgery. 1st edition. St Louis MO, CV Mosby, 1982: 62-69
- Therapist's corner- relative motion flexion.American Association for Hand Surgery. Hand Association News, 2016
- Effectiveness of interventions to improve therapy adherence in people with upper limb conditions: a systematic review.J Hand Therapy. 2019; 32: 175-183
- Effect of total end range time on improving passive range of motion.J Hand Therapy. 1994; 7: 150-157
- Postoperative hand therapy management of zones V and VI extensor tendon repairs of the fingers: an international inquiry of current practice.J Hand Therapy. 2020; 34: 58-75
- A randomized clinical trial comparing early active motion programs: earlier hand function, TAM, and orthotic satisfaction with a relative motion extension program for zones V and VI extensor tendon repairs.J Hand Therapy. 2020; 33: 13-24
- A reconceptualization of pain numeric rating scale: anchors and clinically important differences.J Hand Therapy. 2018; 31: 179-183
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: The authors have no competing interests.