Kinesio taping (KT) is a popular adjunct treatment modality for musculoskeletal injuries, hand and wrist injuries. The effectiveness of KT on wrist kinematics has been analyzed during single plane movements in general, and no study has investigated its effectiveness during dart throwing motion (DTM).
To compare the effects of different KT techniques on wrist kinematics during DTM and functional performance of hand in healthy participants.
Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study.
Seventy-two healthy participants were included. Dominant wrist kinematics during DTM was evaluated by a Leap motion controller and wrist functional performance was evaluated by Minnesota Manual Dexterity Test. In order to compare the effects of KT on different muscles and also the effects of KT and placebo taping (PT), wrists of participants were evaluated under 5 conditions: without any taping, KT on flexor carpi ulnaris (FCU), KT on extensor carpi radialis brevis and longus (ECRB/L), PT on FCU and PT on ECRB/L. Means of outcome measures without any taping and with different 4 tapings were compared by repeated measures analysis of variance. PT and KT effects were compared by Wilcoxon signed rank test.
DTM range increased (P = .0) and Minnesota Manual Dexterity Test time decreased (P = .0) after KT and PT applications on FCU and ECRB/L muscles. Amount of change in wrist kinematics (P = .0; effect size = 0.2 and 0.3) and functional performance (P = .0; effect size = 0.6 and 0.8) were more obvious with KT applications, independent from the muscles they were applied on (P = .2 for wrist kinematics and P = .7 for functional performance).
KT on either FCU or ECRB/L muscles improve wrist kinematics and functional performance, significantly. Further studies should investigate if these findings apply for the patients with different wrist injuries, for both immediate- and long-term effectiveness.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Gray's Anatomy for Students E-Book.Elsevier Health Sciences, 2019
- Injuries to the hand and wrist. A study of 50,272 injuries.J Hand Surg Eur. 1993; 18: 642-644
- The wrist: common injuries and management.Prim Care. 2005; 32: 35-70
- Hand and Upper Extremity Rehabilitation: A Practical Guide.3rd ed. Elsevier Health Sciences, 2006: 439-535
- Physical Agents in Rehabilitation: From Research to Practice.Elsevier Health Sciences, 2012
- Facilitatory effects of kinesio taping on forearm extensors in improving hand grip and pinch grip strength.Sch Acad J Biosci. 2016; 4: 478-482
- The clinical efficacy of kinesio tape for shoulder pain: a randomized, double-blinded, clinical trial.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2008; 38: 389-395
- The kinesiologic taping technique and its applications.Turk J Phys Med Rehab. 2011; 57: 225-235
- Effects of kinesio tape to reduce hand edema in acute stroke.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2013; 20: 283-288
- Participants’ perceptions of kinesio tape for carpal tunnel syndrome: a qualitative study.Hand Ther. 2019; 24: 37-47
- Placebo effect of facilitatory kinesio tape on muscle activity and muscle strength.Physiother Theory Pract. 2019; 35: 157-162
- The effect of kinesio taping on handgrip and active range of motion of hand in children with cerebral palsy.Iran J Child Neurol. 2017; 11: 43-51
- The effect of therapeutic taping on hand function in hemiplegic cerebral palsy children.Int J Dev Res. 2015; 5: 4758-4761
- Efficacy of kinesiology taping for recovery from occupational wrist disorders experienced by a physical therapist.J Phys Ther Sci. 2014; 26: 941-943
- A comparison of dart thrower's range of motion following radioscapholunate fusion, four-corner fusion and proximal row carpectomy.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2018; 43: 718-722
- Test-retest reliability of goniometric measurements of the range of dart-throwing motion.J Phys Ther Sci. 2019; 31: 236-241
- In vivo three-dimensional kinematics of the midcarpal joint of the wrist.J Bone Joint Surg. 2006; 88: 611-621
- An investigation of hand dominance, average versus maximum grip strength, body mass index and ages as determinants for hand evaluation.Isokinet Exerc Sci. 2005; 13: 223-227
- A comparison of dominant and non-dominant hand strengths.J Hand Surg Eur. 1999; 24: 421-425
- Comparison of pressure pain threshold, grip strength, dexterity and touch pressure of dominant and non-dominant hands within and between right-and left-handed subjects.J Korean Med Sci. 2004; 19: 874-878
- A proposed method of goniometric measurement of the dart-throwers motion.J Hand Ther. 2013; 26: 77-79
- Suitability of the Kinect sensor and leap motion controller—a literature review.Sensors. 2019; 19: 1072
- Validation of the leap motion controller using markered motion capture technology.J Biomech. 2016; 49: 1742-1750
- Real-time measurement of radiocarpal joint angle during dart-thrower's movement.in: 2015 8th Biomedical Engineering International Conference (BMEiCON). IEEE, 2015 (https://doi.org/10.1109/BMEiCON.2015.7399543)
- An analysis of the precision and reliability of the leap motion sensor and its suitability for static and dynamic tracking.Sensors. 2014; 14: 3702-3720
Fizyosoft handrom. Available at: http://www.fizyosoft.com/; 2018 Accessed June 25, 2018.
- Patient preference of hand dexterity tests: Purdue Pegboard vs. Minnesota Hand Function Test.J Hand Ther. 2018; 31: 158-159
- Testing first the dominant hand in the Jebsen–Taylor Test of Hand Function (JTTHF): proposition of a modified protocol and normative values.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2017; 59: 3
- The Minnesota Manual Dexterity Test: reliability, validity and reference values studies with healthy elderly people.Can J Occup Ther. 1997; 64: 270-276
- İnme hastalarında kinezyobantlamanın el fonksiyonlarına etkisi.Istanbul Gelis Univ Saglik Bilim Derg. 2018; 5: 421-434
- Assessing manual dexterity: comparing the workability rate of manipulation test with the Minnesota manual dexterity test.J Hand Ther. 2018; 31: 339-347
- Length, Strength and Kinesio Tape-eBook: Muscle Testing and Taping Interventions.Elsevier Health Sciences, 2016
- Clinical Therapeutic Applications of the Kinesio Taping Method.Albuquerque, 2003
- Mulligan bent leg raise tekniği ve kinesiotape'nin hamstring kası kısalığına anlık etkilerinin karşılaştırılması.Online Turk Saglik Bilim Derg. 2018; 3: 135-144
- The mechanical axes of the wrist are oriented obliquely to the anatomical axes.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: 169
- Effect of wrist correction kinesio taping application on hand span in children with cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2015; 57: 30
- Short-term effects of kinesiotaping on fine motor function in children with cerebral palsy—a quasi-experimental study.Crit Rev Phys Rehabil Med. 2015; 27: 43-52
- The effect of Kinesio tape on active wrist range of motion in children with cerebral palsy: a pilot study.J Orthop. 2014; 6: 69-74
- Effects of kinesio taping on hemiplegic hand in patients with upper limb post-stroke spasticity: a randomized controlled pilot study.Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2019; 55: 551-557
- The effect of kinesiotaping on hand function in stroke patients: a pilot study.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2018; 22: 829-831
- Effect of Kinesio taping on pain, range of motion, hand strength, and functional abilities in patients with hand osteoarthritis: a pilot randomized clinical trial.Arch Bone Joint Surg. 2019; 7: 551-560
- Immediate effect of forearm Kinesio taping on maximal grip strength and force sense in healthy collegiate athletes.Phys Ther Sport. 2010; 11: 122-127
- Effect of Kinesio taping on the wrist joint stability during food cutting tasks.in: 6th European Conference of the International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering. Springer, 2015https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-11128-5_103
- How to select, calculate, and interpret effect sizes.J Pediatr Psychol. 2009; 34: 917-928
- Wrist tendon forces during various dynamic wrist motions.J Hand Surg. 2010; 35: 628-632
- Hand gesture recognition with leap motion and kinect devices.in: Image Processing (ICIP), 2014 IEEE International Conference on. IEEE, 2014https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIP.2014.7025313
- The leap motion controller: a view on sign language.in: Proceedings of the 25th Australian computer-human interaction conference: augmentation, application, innovation, collaboration. ACM, 2013https://doi.org/10.1145/2541016.2541072
- Leap motioncontrolled videogame-based therapy for rehabilitation of elderly patients with subacute stroke: a feasibility pilot study.Top Stroke Rehabil. 2015; 22: 306-316
- Application for hand rehabilitation using leap motion sensor based on a gamification approach.Int J Adv Res Comput Sci Softw Eng. 2016; 5: 61-69
JHT Read for Credit
Quiz: # 937
Record your answers on the Return Answer Form found on the tear-out coupon at the back of this issue or to complete online and use a credit card, go to JHTReadforCredit.com. There is only one best answer for each question.
- # 1.The study design is
- a.retrospective cohort
- d.case series
- # 2.This was the first time Kinesio taping was studied
- a.on patients with mild wrist instability
- b.during wrist flexion and extension
- c.under 2 different uniplanar motions
- d.during the dart throwers motion
- # 3.Outcome measures between groups were analyzed using
- a.an ICC
- b.an ANOVA
- c.the Wilcoxon signed rank test
- d.the Pearson coefficient
- # 4.The experimental group demonstrated
- a.increased ROM, but slower times
- b.faster times and increased ROM
- c.faster times, but decreased ROM
- d.equal ROM and times compared to the placebo group
- # 5.The authors were encouraged by improved kinematics on the subject population and would like to see more investigation on an actual patient population
When submitting to the HTCC for re-certification, please batch your JHT RFC certificates in groups of 3 or more to get full credit.
Published online: October 27, 2021
Accepted: September 21, 2021
Received in revised form: July 13, 2021
Received: June 5, 2020
Conflict of interest: None.
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.