- •The impact of Kinesio taping, especially on pain, may remain unchanged as a residual effect in the short term following treatment.
- •In the Patient-Rated Tennis Elbow Evaluation (PRTEE), pain scores showed significant improvement in true taping group compared to the placebo taping group.
- •The pain reduction achieved by Kinesio taping has been helpful for adherence at the beginning of an exercise program.
- •The effects of Kinesio taping on muscle strength, quality of life, and function in chronic lateral epicondylitis are not superior to placebo.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Lateral epicondylosis: a literature review to link pathology and tendon function to tissue-level treatment and ergonomic interventions.J Hand Ther. 2021; 21 (00077-6Online ahead of print): S0894-S1130https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2021.05.005
- Comparison of effects of eccentric training, eccentric-concentric training, and eccentric-concentric training combined with isometric contraction in the treatment of lateral elbow tendinopathy.J Hand Ther. 2017; 30: 13-19
- Lateral epicondylitis of the elbow.Am J Med. 2013; 126 (.e351-356): 357
- Effects of taping on pain, grip strength and wrist extension force in patients with tennis elbow.Trauma Mon. 2013; 18: 71-74
- Kinesio Taping®, part 1: an overview of its use in athletes.Int J Athletic Ther Train. 2007; 12: 17-18
- Effects of Kinesio tape in individuals with lateral epicondylitis: a deceptive crossover trial.Physiother Theory Pract. 2017; 33: 914-919
- A randomized controlled trial of comparative effectiveness of elastic therapeutic tape, sham tape or eccentric exercises alone for lateral elbow tendinosis.J Hand Ther. 2016; 21: 131-139
- Kinesio tape reduces pain in patients with lateral epicondylitis: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Int J Surg. 2020; 76: 190-199
- The effectiveness of Kinesio taping, Sham taping or exercises only in lateral epicondylitis treatment: a randomized controlled study.PM R. 2019; 11: 681-693
- Hand therapist management of the lateral epicondylosis: a survey of expert opinion and practice patterns.J Hand Ther. 2010; 23: 18-30
- Measures of adult pain: visual analog scale for pain (VAS pain), numeric rating scale for pain (NRS pain), Mcgill pain questionnaire (MPQ), short-form mcgill pain questionnaire (SF-MPQ), chronic pain grade scale (CPGS), short form-36 bodily pain scale (SF-36 BPS), and measure of intermittent and constant osteoarthritis pain (ICOAP).Arthritis Care Res. 2011; 63 (Hoboken): S240-S252
- Measuring pain. Visual analog scale versus numeric pain scale: what is the difference?.J Chiropr Med. Winter. 2005; 4: 43-44
- Cyriax's Illustrated Manual of Orthopaedic Medicine.3rd edition. Elsevier Health Sciences, London1996
- Effect of metabolic syndrome on the functional outcome of corticosteroid injection for lateral epicondylitis: retrospective matched case-control study.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 10845
- Multimodal management of lateral epicondylalgia in rock climbers: a prospective case series.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2011; 34: 635-642
- Reliability and validity of Turkish version of the patient rated tennis elbow evaluation.Rheumatol Int. 2010; 30: 1049-1054
- Comparison of methods for the scoring and statistical analysis of SF-36 health profile and summary measures: summary of results from the Medical Outcomes Study.Med Care. 1995; 33: AS264-AS279
Kase K. DC: Illustrated Kinesio Taping. In: KEN'I KAI. Tokio; 2000;6-12.
- The use of treatment efficacy of kinaesthetic taping for musculoskeletal conditions: a systematic review.N Z J Physiother. 2010; 38: 56-62
- Kinesio taping®: an overview of use with athletes, Part II.Int J Athletic Ther Train. 2007; 12: 5-7
- Does Kinesiotaping improve pain and functionality in patients with newly diagnosed lateral epicondylitis?.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2018; 26: 938-945
- Progressive strengthening and stretching exercises and ultrasound for chronic lateral epicondylitis.Physiotherapy. 1996; 82: 522-530
- Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ1988: 274-287
- A new measure of rank correlation.Biometrika. 1938; 30: 81-88
- The need to report effect size estimates revisited. An overview of some recommended measures of effect size.TRENDS Sport Sci. 2014; 1: 19
- Effects of Kinesio® taping on skeletal muscle strength—a meta-analysis of current evidence.J Sci Med Sport. 2015; 18: 450-456
- Immediate and short-term effects of kinesiotaping on muscular activity, mobility, strength and pain after rotator cuff surgery: a crossover clinical trial.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2018; 19: 305
- Do kinaesthetic tapes affect plantarflexor muscle performance?.J Sports Sci. 2012; 30: 1513-1519
- Effects of Kinesio tape on supporting medial foot arch in runners with functional flatfoot: a preliminary study.Res Sports Med. 2020; 28 (30): 168-180
- Patellar taping increases vastus medialis oblique activity in the presence of patellofemoral pain.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2004; 14: 495-504
- Cutaneous stimulation from patella tape causes a differential increase in vasti muscle activity in people with patellofemoral pain.J Orthop Res. 2005; 23: 351-358
- The effects of KinesioTape on the treatment of lateral epicondylitis.J Hand Ther. 2018; 31: 35-41
- The Kinesio taping method for myofascial pain control.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2015; 2015950519
- Kinesio taping: application and results on pain: systematic review.Fisioterapia e Pesquisa. 2014; 21: 94-99
- An exercise programme for the management of lateral elbow tendinopathy.Br J Sports Med. 2005; 39: 944-947
- Eccentric training for the treatment of tendinopathies.Curr Sports Med Rep. 2013; 12: 175-182
- Effectiveness of eccentric strengthening in the treatment of lateral elbow tendinopathy: a systematic review with meta-analysis.J Hand Ther. 2021; 34: 18-28
- Lateral elbow tendinopathy: evidence of physiotherapy management.World J Orthop. 2016; 7: 463-466
- Role of strengthening during nonoperative treatment of lateral epicondyle tendinopathy.J Hand Ther. 2020; 20 (S0894-1130): 30185-30188
- Tennis elbow tendinosis (epicondylitis).Instr Course Lect. 2004; 53: 587-598
- Physiotherapy management of lateral epicondylalgia.J Physiother. 2015; 61: 174-181
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Declaration of interest: The authors report no conflicts of interest.