- •Concurrent validity of the bMHQ and TDX was high and statistically significant.
- •The TDX test-retest reliability via intraclass correlation coefficient was excellent.
- •The TDX can reliably find a difference in two scores when it is more than 6 points.
- •The TDX shows a clinically meaningful change in scores when it is more than 17 points.
Purpose of the Study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Effectiveness of splinting for pain and function in people with thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: a systematic review with meta-analysis.Osteoarthr Cartil. 2019; 27: 547-559https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2018.09.012
- Prevalence and most common causes of disability among adults — United States, 2005.Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009; 58: 421-426
- Hypermobility associated with osteoarthritis of the thumb base: a clinical and radiological subset of hand osteoarthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 1996; 55: 540-543https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.55.8.540
- Prevalence, incidence and progression of hand osteoarthritis in the general population: the Framingham Osteoarthritis Study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011; 70: 1581https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2011.150078
- Radiographic laxity of the trapeziometacarpal joint is correlated with generalized joint hypermobility.J Hand Surg Am. 2011; 36: 1165-1169https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2011.03.017
- Basal thumb arthritis.Postgrad Med J. 2007; 83: 40-43https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.2006.046300
- Development of a Brief, 12-Item version of the michigan hand questionnaire.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011; 128: 208-220https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0b013e318218fc51
- Measuring the outcome of occupational therapy: Tools and resources.Aust Occup Ther J. 2000; 47: 147-158https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1630.2000.00239.x
- Patient-reported outcome measures for patients with hand-specific impairments—A scoping review.J Hand Ther. Published online 2020; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2020.08.003
- Investigation of the effect of conservative interventions in thumb carpometacarpal osteoarthritis: Systematic review and meta-analysis.Disabil Rehabil. 2015; 37: 2025-2043https://doi.org/10.3109/09638288.2014.996299
- Measuring the whole or the parts? Validity, reliability, and responsiveness of the disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand outcome measure in different regions of the upper extremity.J Hand Ther. 2001; 14: 128-142https://doi.org/10.1016/s0894-1130(01)80043-0
- Responsiveness of the Disability of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand (DASH) and Patient-Rated Wrist/Hand Evaluation (PRWHE) in Evaluating Change after Hand Therapy.J Hand Ther. 2004; 17: 18-23https://doi.org/10.1197/j.jht.2003.10.003
- Development and Validation of a Disease-Specific Questionnaire for Basal Joint Arthritis.J Wrist Surg. 2017; 6: 126-133https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0036-1593612
- Evaluation of the PROMIS upper extremity computer adaptive test against validated patient-reported outcomes in patients with basilar thumb arthritis.J Hand Surg Am. 2019; 44: 564-569https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2019.01.003
- Development of an upper extremity outcome measure: The DASH (disabilities of the arm, shoulder, and head).Am J Ind Med. Published online 1996; (doi:)https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0274(199606)29:6<602::AID-AJIM4>3.0.CO;2-L
Bobos P, MacDermid J, Boutsikari E, Lalone E, Ferreira L, Grewal R. Evaluation of the content validity index of the Australian Canadian hand oa index, the patient-rated wrist/hand evaluation and the thumb disability exam in people with hand arthritis. Published online 2020:1-22. doi:10.21203/rs.3.rs-32151/v1
- Validity and responsiveness of the Michigan Hand Questionnaire in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a multicenter, international study.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). Published online 2010; https://doi.org/10.1002/acr.20274
- Performance of the Michigan Hand Outcomes Questionnaire in hand osteoarthritis.Osteoarthr Cartil. 2018; 26: 1627-1635https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2018.07.018
- Determining the michigan hand outcomes questionnaire minimal clinically important difference by means of three methods.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2014; 133: 616-625https://doi.org/10.1097/PRS.0000000000000034
- Validity of self-report measures of pain and disability for persons who have undergone arthroplasty for osteoarthritis of the carpometacarpal joint of the hand.Osteoarthr Cartil. Published online 2007; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joca.2006.10.018
- Measurement properties of the brief michigan hand outcomes questionnaire in patients with dupuytren contracture.J Hand Surg Am. Published online 2016; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhsa.2016.06.009
- Reliability and validity testing of the Michigan Hand Outcomes Questionnaire.J Hand Surg Am. Published online 1998; https://doi.org/10.1016/S0363-5023(98)80042-7
- The diagnostic clinical value of thumb metacarpal grind, pressure-shear, flexion, and extension tests for carpometacarpal osteoarthritis.J Hand Ther. 2019; 32: 35-40https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2017.09.005
- Current practice patterns in conservative thumb CMC joint care: survey results.J Hand Ther. Published online 2014; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2013.09.001
- Standard occupational classification.U.S. Department of Labor, Published 2018 (Available at:)https://www.bls.gov/soc/2018/major_groups.htmDate accessed: January 6, 2021
Capitol Impact. Government Gateway. Accessed 6 January 2021. Available at: http://www.ciclt.net/sn/clt/capitolimpact/gw_state.aspx?state=mn&stfips=27&stname=Minnesota
- User's guide to correlation coefficients.Turkish J Emerg Med. 2018; 18: 91-93https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tjem.2018.08.001
- Statistics corner: a guide to appropriate use of correlation coefficient in medical research.Malawi Med J. Published online 2012;
- Applied Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences.CENGAGE Learning, 2002 (Available at:)
Fleiss JL, Levin B, Paik MC. The Measurement of Interrater Agreement. In: Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions.; 2004. doi:10.1002/0471445428.ch18
- Use of the standard error as a reliability index of interest: an applied example using elbow flexor strength data.Phys Ther. 1997; 77: 745https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/77.7.745
- Test-retest reliability and minimal detectable change for center of pressure measures of postural stability in elderly subjects.Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2010; 23: 224-232
- Guidelines for Reporting Reliability and Agreement Studies (GRRAS) were proposed.Int J Nurs Stud. 2011; 48: 661-671https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2011.01.016
- Interobserver reproducibility of the assessment of severity of complaints, grip strength, and pressure pain threshold in patients with lateral epicondylitis.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 1145-1150https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2002.33728
- Test-retest reliability and minimal detectable change of the test of visual perceptual skills-third edition in patients with stroke.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2016; 97: 1917-1923https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apmr.2016.04.023
- Sample size charts for spearman and kendall coefficients.J Biom Biostat. Published online 2020; 11
- Guidelines for documentation of occupational therapy.Am J Occup Ther. 2018; 72 (7212410010p1)https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2018.72S203
Dreiser RL, Maheu E, Guillou GB, Caspard H, Grouin JM. Validation of an algofunctional index for osteoarthritis of the hand. In: Revue Du Rhumatisme (English Edition); 1995.
- Dimensionality and clinical importance of pain and disability in hand osteoarthritis: development of the Australian/Canadian (AUSCAN) osteoarthritis hand index.Osteoarthr Cartil. Published online 2002; https://doi.org/10.1053/joca.2002.0837
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: The authors have no conflicts of interest to disclose.