- •We 3D printed a fine motor gripping and manipulating dexterity assessment tool
- •Both methods had good to excellent test-retest reliability
- •It was sensitive to handedness and gripping vs manipulating dexterity
- •A freely available model is available online and costs little to print.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Manual ability as a marker of dependency in geriatric women.J Chronic Dis. 1982; 35: 115-122
- Defining dexterity—untangling the discourse in clinical practice.J Hand Ther. 2020; : 517-519
- Manual dexterity in young and healthy older adults. 2. Association with cognitive abilities.Dev Psychobiol. 2018; 60: 428
- A narrative review of dexterity assessments.J Hand Ther. 2009; 22: 258-270
- Hand impairments.in: Radomski M Latham C Occupational Therapy for Physical Dysfunction. Wolters Kluwer/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2014: 1130-1167
- Observational evidence of the association between handgrip strength, hand dexterity, and cognitive performance in community-dwelling older adults: a systematic review.J Epidemiol. 2018; 28: 373-381
- Validation of the box and block test as a measure of dexterity of elderly people: reliability, validity, and norms studies.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1994; 75: 751
- Adult norms for the box and block test of manual dexterity.Am J Occup Ther. 1985; 39: 386-391
- Adult norms for the nine hole peg test of finger dexterity.OTJR. 1985; 5: 24-38
- Table of assessments: listed Alphabetically by title.in: Schell B Gillen G Scaffa M Willard and Spackman's Occupational Therapy. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA2014: 1190-1228
- Occupational therapy practice framework: domain and process—Fourth edition.Am J Occup Ther. 2020; 74 (7412410010p7412410011-7412410010p7412410087)
- The Design and Analysis of Clinical Experiments.John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, NY1986
- Hand function in Charcot Marie Tooth: test retest reliability of some measurements.Clin Rehabil. 2006; 20: 896-908
- Normative data for determining significance of test-retest differences on eight common neuropsychological instruments.Clin Neuropsychol. 2004; 18: 373-384
- Testretest reliability and practice effects of Expanded HalsteadReitan Neuropsychological Test Battery.J Int Neuropsychol Soc. 1999; 5: 346-356
- The Nine-Hole Peg Test as a manual dexterity performance measure for multiple sclerosis.Multiple Scler. 2017; 23: 711-720
- Open-source 3D printed sensors for hand strength assessment: validation of low-cost load cell and fabric sensor-based systems.Aust Occup Ther J. 2018; 65: 412-419
- Three-dimensional cameras and skeleton pose tracking for physical function assessment: a review of uses, validity, current developments and Kinect alternatives.Gait Posture. 2019; 68: 193-200
- Novel dexterity kit concept based on a review of hand dexterity literature.Lect Notes Mech Eng. 2020; : 81-89
- What factors influence clinicians' use of technology in neurorehabilitation? A multi-site focus group study Phys.Ther. 2021; (in press)
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: There are no conflicts of interest to disclose other than that the corresponding author (Clark) operates the ad-free website where the device is made available. We also acknowledge this work was supported by the University of the Sunshine Coast internal research grant funds.