- •Volar locking plate heralded a shift in the management of distal radius fracture.
- •Early mobilization is beneficial after distal radius fracture repair.
- •Early mobilization improves clinical outcomes after distal radius fracture repair.
Purpose of the Study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The frequency and epidemiology of hand and forearm fractures in the United States.J Hand Surg Am. 2001; 26: 908-915
- The epidemiology of upper extremity fractures in the United States, 2009.J Orthop Trauma. 2015; 29: e242-e244
- The operative treatment of fractures of the distal radius is increasing: results from a nationwide Swedish study.Bone Joint J. 2014; 96-B: 963-969
- Epidemiology and changed surgical treatment methods for fractures of the distal radius: a registry analysis of 42,583 patients in Stockholm County, Sweden, 2004-2010.Acta Orthop. 2013; 84: 292-296
- A revolution in the management of fractures of the distal radius?.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90-B: 1271-1275
- Volar locking plates versus augmented external fixation of intra-articular distal radial fractures: functional results from a randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: 311-321
- Meta-analysis for dorsally displaced distal radius fracture fixation: volar locking plate versus percutaneous Kirschner wires.J Orthop Surg Res. 2015; 10: 108
- Unstable distal radial fractures treated with external fixation, a radial column plate, or a volar plate. A prospective randomized trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 1568-1577
- Treatment of osteoporotic distal radius fractures.Osteoporos Int. 2005; 2: S80-S84
- Surgical treatment of unstable distal radius fractures with volar locking plates.J Orthop Sci. 2007; 12: 134-140
- Volar fixation of dorsally displaced distal radius fractures using the 2.4-mm locking compression plates.J Hand Surg Am. 2005; 30: 743-749
- The treatment of unstable distal radius fractures with volar fixation.Hand Surg. 2000; 5: 103-112
- Volar fixation for dorsally displaced fractures of the distal radius: a preliminary report.J Hand Surg Am. 2002; 27: 205-215
- Volar fixed-angle plate fixation for unstable distal radius fractures in the elderly patient.J Hand Surg Am. 2004; 29: 96-102
- Functional outcome and complications after volar plating for dorsally displaced, unstable fractures of the distal radius.J Hand Surg Am. 2006; 31: 359-365
- Volar fixed-angle plating of the distal radius.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2005; 13: 28-36
- Treatment of unstable distal radial fractures with the volar locking plating system.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88: 2687-2694
- Functional outcome of unstable distal radius fractures: ORIF with a volar fixed-angle tine plate versus external fixation.J Hand Surg Am. 2005; 30: 289-299
- Functional outcomes for unstable distal radial fractures treated with open reduction and internal fixation or closed reduction and percutaneous fixation. A prospective randomized trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91: 1837-1846
- Quality of life after volar locked plating: a 10-year follow-up study of patients with intra-articular distal radius fractures.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014; 15: 250
- Management of unstable distal radius fractures: a survey of hand surgeons.J Wrist Surg. 2019; 08: 335-343
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.Ann Intern Med. 2009; 151 (W-65-W-94)
- Estimating the sample mean and standard deviation from the sample size, median, range and/or interquartile range.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014; 14: 135
- 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomized trials.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4898
- Wrist mobilisation following volar plate fixation of fractures of the distal part of the radius.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008; 90: 1297-1304
- Early rehabilitation of distal radius fractures stabilized by volar locking plate: a prospective randomized pilot study.J Wrist Surg. 2017; 6: 102-112
- Influence of postoperative immobilizationon pain control of patients with distal radius fracture treated with volar locked plating: a prospective, randomized clinical trial.Injury. 2019; 50: 386-391
- Early versus late motion following volar plating of distal radius fractures.Hand (N Y). 2020; 15 ([published Online First: 2018/07/17]): 125-130https://doi.org/10.1177/1558944718787880
- A comparison of the effect of one, three, or 6 weeks of immobilizationon function and pain after open reduction and internal fixation of distal radial fractures in adults: a randomized controlled trial.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2018; 100: 1118-1125
- Early mobilisation and physiotherapy vs. late mobilisation and home exercises after orif of distal radial fractures: a randomized controlled trial.JB JS Open Access. 2019; 4 (e0012)
- Early mobilisation after volar locking plate osteosynthesis of distal radial fractures in older patients—A randomized controlled trial.J Hand Surg Am. 2020; 45: 1047-1054e.1
- Volar locking plate fixation of distal radius fractures: splint versus immediate mobilisation.J Wrist Surg. 2018; 7: 237-242
- Distal radius fractures with unstable distal radioulnar joint treated by volar plate: a comparative study of immobilizationversus early mobilisation.J Orthop Spine. 2019; 7: 46-50
- Effects of early manual therapy on functional outcomes after volar plating of distal radius fractures: a randomized controlled trial.Hand Surg Rehabil. 2020; 39: 178-185
- Accelerated rehabilitation compared with a standard protocol after distal radial fractures treated with volar open reduction and internal fixation: a prospective, randomized, controlled study.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014; 96: 1621-1630
- Rehabilitation after distal radius fractures: is there a need for immobilizationand physiotherapy?.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2020; 140: 651-663
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Conflict of interest: The authors have nothing to disclose.