- •Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is the most common mononeuropathy of the hand.
- •Kinesio Taping (KT) lymphatic correction technique has been considered for CTS.
- •The study protocol consisted of 2 sessions per week for 5 weeks, including 6 exercises.
- •Significant differences between KT and sham taping were found at 5 weeks and 6 months.
- •KT might reduce symptoms and improve function in our sample of patients with mild CTS.
Double-blind randomized controlled trial.
Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) is a common mononeuropathy that causes pain and disability in the affected hand. Kinesio taping (KT) has been recently proposed as a promising conservative approach in CTS patients.
Purpose of the study
To investigate the effectiveness of KT compared to a sham taping on symptoms and hand function in patients affected by mild CTS.
Patients affected by mild CTS with symptoms for at least 8 weeks were enrolled and randomly allocated into two groups: KT group, according to the technique proposed by Kase plus specific exercises; control group, undergoing a sham taping plus specific exercise. All patients performed 2 sessions/week for 5 weeks of exercises of mobilization of fingers and carpal joint. At the baseline, after 5 weeks (T1), and after 6 months (T2), a physician unaware of patients’ allocation assessed the Boston Carpal Tunnel Questionnaire (BCTQ) symptom (BCTQ-S) and functional (BCTQ-F) subscales.
Forty-two patients (mean age:54.3 ± 15.0 y) were randomly allocated into KT (n = 21) and control group (n = 21). At T1, in both groups we found a significant improvement in hand function and symptoms, as showed by BCTQ-F (KT:4.2 ± 0.7 vs 3.0 ± 0.6, P < .001; sham: 2.2 ± 0.3 vs 1.7 ± 0.3, P = .012) and by BCTQ-S (KT: 2.2 ± 0.3 vs 1.7 ± 0.3, P < .001; sham: 2.3 ± 0.4 vs 1.9 ± 0.5, P = .007). At T2, only in the KT group there was a significant difference in both sub-items of primary outcome. There were significantly better results in the KT group at T1 and T2.
The present study showed that KT compared to a sham taping might be more effective in reducing perceived symptoms in mild CTS patients, reporting a clinically significant difference.
KT might be considered as an effective technique combined to rehabilitative treatment in terms of hand function and symptoms in patients affected by mild CTS.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence and work-relatedness of carpal tunnel syndrome in the working population, United States, 2010 National Health Interview Survey.Am J Ind Med. 2013; 56: 615-624
- Carpal tunnel syndrome.Curr Opin Int Med. 2005; : 578-582
- Hand pain and sensory deficits: carpal tunnel syndrome.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2019; 49 (CPG1-CPG85)
- Posture and loading in the pathomechanics of carpal tunnel syndrome: a review.Crit Rev Biomed Eng. 2016; 44: 397-410
- Recent advances in the understanding and management of carpal tunnel syndrome: a comprehensive review.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2019; 23: 70
- Neurophysiological classification and sensitivity in 500 carpal tunnel syndrome hands.Acta Neurol Scand. 1997; 96: 211-217
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: clinical features, diagnosis, and management.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 1273-1284
- Ultrasonographic assessment of carpal tunnel syndrome severity: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2019; 98: 373-381
- Evaluation of several classification methods in carpal tunnel syndrome.J Pak Med Assoc. 2017; 67: 1654-1657
- Practice patterns in the conservative treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome: survey results from members of the american society of hand therapy.J Hand Ther. 2019; 33: 346-353https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jht.2019.03.003
- The effectiveness of the low-power laser and Kinesiotaping in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome: a pilot study.Rheumatol Int. 2018; 38: 895-904
- Comparison of splinting and Kinesio taping in the treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome: a prospective randomized study.Clin Rheumatol. 2018; 37: 2465-2469
- Short-term clinical outcome of orthosis alone vs combination of orthosis, nerve, and tendon gliding exercises and ultrasound therapy for treatment of carpal tunnel syndrome.J Hand Ther. 2019; 32: 411-416
- Conservative treatment in patients with mild to moderate carpal tunnel syndrome: A systematic review.Neurología (English Edition). 2018; 33: 590-601
- The effects of kinesio taping on proprioception at the ankle.J Sports Sci Med. 2004; 3: 1-7
- Kinesio Perfect Taping Manual: Amazing Taping Therapy to Eliminate Pain and Muscle Disorders.Kinesio Taping Association, Albuquerque, NM, USA1998
- Effect of kinesio taping on bioelectrical activity of vastus medialis muscle.Ortop Traumatol Rehabil. 2007; 9: 644-651
- Effectiveness of nerve gliding exercises on carpal tunnel syndrome: a systematic review.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2017; 40: 50-59
- Clinical therapeutic applications of the Kinesio taping methods.Kenzo Kase, 2003
- Effects of kinesio taping alone versus sham taping in individuals with musculoskeletal conditions after intervention for at least one week: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Physiotherapy. 2019; 105: 412-420
- Boston carpal tunnel questionnaire: italian version.It J Ort Traumatol. 1998; 24: 121-129
- Using carpal tunnel questionnaire in clinical practice: a systematic review of its measurement properties.J Hand Ther. 2020; 33: 493-506
- Psychometric properties of QuickDASH - a classical test theory and Rasch analysis study.Man Ther. 2011; 16: 177-182
- Dash and boston questionnaire assessment of carpal tunnel syndrome outcome: what is the responsiveness of an outcome questionnaire?.J Hand Surg Br. 2004; 29: 159-164
- Pain: Clinical Manual for Nursing Practice.V.V. Mosby Company, Baltimore1993
EuroQolGroup, EuroQol–a new facility for the measurement of health-related quality of life. Health Policy1990; 16: 199-208.
- Measurement properties of the EuroQoL EQ-5D-5L to assess quality of life in patients undergoing carpal tunnel release.J Hand Surg Eur. 2016; 41: 957-962
- Minimal clinically important difference for the Boston Carpal Tunnel Questionnaire: new insights and review of literature.J Hand Surg Eur. 2019; 44: 283-289
- Kinesiotaping as an alternative treatment method for carpal tunnel syndrome.Turk J Med Sci. 2016; 46: 1042-1049
- Shoulder taping in the clinical setting.J Body Mov Ther. 2002; 6: 2-8
- European HANDGUIDE Group. Carpal tunnel study syndrome: hand surgeons, hand therapists, and physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians agree on a multidisciplinary treatment guideline—results from the European HANDGUIDE Study.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014; 95: 2253-2263
JHT Read for Credit
Quiz: # 922
Record your answers on the Return Answer Form found on the tear-out coupon at the back of this issue or to complete online and use a credit card, go to JHTReadforCredit.com. There is only one best answer for each question.
- # 1.The study design is
- a.retrospective cohort
- d.case series
- # 2.The authors utilized the kinesio taping method of
- # 3.Both groups were given exercises. The control group was
- a.told they were in the control group
- b.taped with two techniques
- c.not taped
- d.sham taped
- # 4.The __________ was used to assess outcomes
- a.Harvard Hand Function Questinnaire
- b.Michigan Hand Function Survey
- c.Quick DASH
- # 5.The experimental group outperformed the control group
When submitting to the HTCC for re-certification, please batch your JHT RFC certificates in groups of 3 or more to get full credit.
Published online: April 13, 2021
Accepted: April 5, 2021
Received in revised form: March 23, 2021
Received: April 23, 2020
Disclosure: All authors declare no conflict of interests, consultant relationships with any organizations involved in this research.
Funding: No funding sources.
© 2021 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.