- •The NHDC is a valid measure of the construct of hand deformity.
- •Test-retest reliability coefficients demonstrate that the NHDC is stable between repeat administrations.
- •Inter-rater reliability coefficients demonstrate that the NHDC can be used reliably by raters.
- •It is recommended that the NHDC is used to classify hand deformity in children with cerebral palsy.
Abbreviations:ABILHAND (ABILHAND-Kids questionnaire), AROM (Active range of motion), Box and Blocks (Box and block test of manual dexterity), COSMIN (COnsensus-based Standards for the selection of health Measurement Instruments), CP (Cerebral Palsy), DPA (Dynamic positional analysis), ICF (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health), iWHOT (Infant wrist hand orthosis trial), MACS (Manual Ability Classification System), MAS (Modified Ashworth Scale), MIT (Minimizing Impairment Trial), MTS (Modified Tardieu Scale), NHDC (Neurological Hand Deformity Classification), PEDI-CAT (The Pediatric Evaluation of Disability – Computer Aided Test), PROM (Passive range of motion), SHUEE (Shriner's Hospital Upper Extremity Evaluation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Reliable classification of functional profiles and movement disorders of children with cerebral palsy.Phys Occup Ther Pediatr. 2013; 33: 342-352
- Improving the use of hands in daily activities.Phys Occup Ther Pediatr. 2005; 25: 37-60
- Prevalence and pattern of upper limb involvement in cerebral palsy.J Child Orthopaed. 2014; 8: 215-219
- Upper-limb contracture development in children with cerebral palsy: a population-based study.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2019; 61: 204-211
- Evaluation of deformity and hand function in cerebral palsy patients.J Orthopaed Surg Res. 2008; 3: 52
- Upper limb orthoses and assistive technology utilization in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy recruited from a population register.Dev Neurorehabil. 2009; 12: 92-99
- Grading and quantification of upper extremity function in children with spasticity.Semin Plast Surg. 2016; 30: 5-13
- Upper limb function and deformity in cerebral palsy: a review of classification systems.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2011; 53: 799-805
- A systematic review of evidence-based assessment practices by allied health practitioners for children with cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2016; 58: 332-347
Garbellini S, Wilton J. Neurological Hand Deformity Classification. https://www.neurohanddeformity.com/. Published 2017. Accessed.
- Surgical management of the hand in infantile spastic hemiplegia.Hand Clin. 2003; 19: 609-629
- Validation of the Shriners Hospital for Children Upper Extremity Evaluation (SHUEE) for children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy.J Bone Joint Surg. 2006; 88: 326-333
- The Neurological Hand Deformity Classification for children with cerebral palsy.Austr Occup Ther J. 2014; 61: 394-402
- Upper limb motor and sensory impairments in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy. Can they be measured reliably?.Disability Rehabil. 2010; 32: 409-416
- Shriners Hospital for Children Upper Extremity Evaluation (SHUEE): a reliability study.Gait Posture. 2015; 42: S27-S28
- Orthotic intervention and casting in the presence of neurological dysfunction.Hand Splinting Orthotic Intervention: Prinicples of design and fabrication. 2nd ed. Vivid Publishing, Western Australia2013: 195-235
World Health Organization. (...2001). International classification of functioning, disability and health: ICF. World Health Organization. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/42407.
Mokkink LB, Prinsen CAC, Patrick DL, et al. COSMIN Study Design checklist for Patient-reported outcome measurement instruments. https://www.cosmin.nl/wp-content/uploads/COSMIN-study-designing-checklist_final.pdf. Published 2019. Accessed.
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Ann Int Med. 2007; 147: 573-577
- Minimising impairment: protocol for a multicentre randomised controlled trial of upper limb orthoses for children with cerebral palsy.BMC Pediatr. 2016; 16: 70
- Quantifying construct validity: two simple measures.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2003; 84: 608-618
Oxford Dictionary. Oxford University Press. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/. Published 2018. Accessed 01/11/2019.
- The reliability of goniometric measurements of active and passive wrist motions.Am J Occup Ther. 1990; 44: 342-348
- Intraobserver reliability of modified Ashworth scale and modified Tardieu scale in the assessment of spasticity in children with cerebral palsy.Acta Orthopaedica et Traumatologica Turcica. 2012; 46: 196
- Box and block test of manual dexterity: norms for 6–19 year olds.Can J Occup Ther. 1985; 52: 241-245
- The Manual Ability Classification System (MACS) for children with cerebral palsy: scale development and evidence of validity and reliability.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2006; 48: 549-554
- Accuracy and precision of the Pediatric Evaluation of Disability Inventory computer-adaptive tests (PEDI-CAT).Dev Med Child Neurol. 2011; 53: 1100-1106
- ABILHAND-kids: a measure of manual ability in children with cerebral palsy.Neurology. 2004; 63: 1045-1052
- Foundations of clinical research: applications to practice.3rd Edition. F.A. Davis Company, ed: Philadelphia, PA2015
- COSMIN Risk of Bias checklist for systematic reviews of Patient-Reported Outcome Measures.Qual Life Res. 2018; 27: 1171-1179
- The COSMIN checklist manual.VU University Medical Centre, Amsterdam2009
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Health Measurement Scales A practical guide to their development and use.4th ed. Oxford University Press, Oxford2008
JHT Read for Credit
Quiz: # 900
- # 1.The NHDC distinguishes between
- a.neurological and orthopedic causes of deformities
- b.open and closed hand deformities
- c.flexion and extension deformities
- d.supination and pronation deformities
- # 2.Construct validity was tested using the
- a.Spearman Correlation Coefficient and the Chi Squared Test of Independence
- b.two ICCs
- c.an ANOVA and an ICC
- d.none of the above
- # 3.Cohen's Kappa was used to assess
- c.intra-rater reliability
- d.inter-rater reliability
- # 4.The measurement study followed __________ guidelines
- a.Philadelphia Children's Hospital
- # 5.Validity and reliability analyses gave the investigators confidence in the use of the NHDC as a classification tool
- a.not true
The authors have stated that they had no interests that might be perceived as posing a conflict or bias.