- •The scientific literature is not unanimous about the best structure of SPADI.
- •The original version of SPADI with 2 domains and 13 items showed a high covariance between domains.
- •The version of SPADI with a domain and 13 items presents a better structure than the two-dimensional version.
The Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI) is a measuring instrument for pain and disability in patients with shoulder dysfunction. However, its structure is controversial (ie, 1 or 2 domains).
To investigate the structural validity of the Brazilian version of the SPADI in patients with chronic shoulder pain.
Brazilian Portuguese speakers of both genders aged 18 years or older with shoulder pain for at least 90 days (chronic) were included in this study. The structure of the SPADI was assessed by means of exploratory factor analysis with the implementation of parallel analysis and by confirmatory factor analysis. For the latter, the following goodness-of-fit indices were considered: root mean square error of approximation with 90% confidence interval, comparative fit index, Tucker–Lewis index, standardized root mean square residual, and chi-square/degrees of freedom.
A total of 103 participants were included in the study. The original version of the SPADI with 2 domains and 13 items showed high covariance between domains (0.98), suggesting one-dimensionality. After exploratory factor analysis with the implementation of parallel analysis, one-dimensionality was found in the SPADI. Comparing models with 1 and 2 domains by means of confirmatory factor analysis, both presented adequate values (chi-square/degrees of freedom < 3; comparative fit index and Tucker–Lewis index > 0.90; root mean square error of approximation and standardized root mean square residual < 0.08). However, the model with one domain is more suitable for presenting lower values of Akaike information criterion (3308.713) and Bayesian information criterion (3377.216).
The Brazilian version of the SPADI has a one-dimensional structure with 13 items (“shoulder impairment” construct), in contrast to the version with 2 domains.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Development of a Shoulder Pain and Disability Index.Arthritis Rheum. 1991; 4: 143-149
- The Dutch Shoulder Pain and Disability Index (SPADI): a reliability and validation study.Qual Life Res. 2015; 24: 1515-1519
- Shoulder Pain and Disability Index: cross cultural validation and evaluation of psychometric properties of the Spanish version.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2015; 13: 1-6
- Spanish version of SPADI (Shoulder Pain and Disability Index) in musculoskeletal shoulder pain: a new 10-items version after confirmatory factor analysis.Health Qual Life Outcomes. 2016; 14: 1-8
- Factor structure and validity of the shoulder pain and disability index in a population-based study of people with shoulder symptoms.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2011; 12: 8-13
- A comparison of the Oxford shoulder score and shoulder pain and disability index: factor structure in the context of a large randomized controlled trial.Patient Relat Outcome Meas. 2016; 7: 195-203
- The Shoulder Pain and Disability Index demonstrates factor, construct and longitudinal validity.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2006; 7: 1-11
- Translation and cross-cultural adaptation of the shoulder pain and disability index (SPADI) into Chinese.Clin Rheumatol. 2017; 36: 1419-1426
- The Brazilian version of shoulder pain and disability index - translation, cultural adaptation and reliability.Rev Bras Fisioter. 2010; 14: 527-536
- COSMIN guideline for systematic reviews of patient-reported outcome measures.Qual Life Res. 2018; 27: 1147-1157
- Combined use of diadynamic currents and manual therapy on myofascial trigger points in patients with shoulder impingement syndrome: a randomized controlled trial.J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2018; 41: 475-482
- Validity of four pain intensity rating scales.Pain. 2011; 152: 2399-2404
- Confirmatory factor analysis with ordinal data: comparing robust maximum likelihood and diagonally weighted least squares.Behav Res Methods. 2016; 48: 936-949
- Structural equation modeling: reviewing the basics and moving forward.J Pers Assess. 2006; 87: 35-50
- Evaluating the fit of structural equation models: tests of significance and descriptive goodness-of-fit measures.Methods Psychol Res Online. 2003; 8: 23-74
- Confirmatory Factor Analysis for Applied Research.Guilford Publications, New York2006
- Dimensionality assessment of ordered polytomous items with parallel analysis.Psychol Methods. 2011; 16: 209-220
- Robust Promin: a method for diagonally weighted factor rotation.Lib Rev Peru Psicol. 2019; 25: 99-106
- Using Multivariate Statistics.5th ed. Allyn & Bacon, New York2007
- The Multivariate Social Scientist.SAGE Publications, Sage, London1999
- Factor retention decisions in exploratory factor analysis: a tutorial on parallel analysis.Organ Res Methods. 2004; 7: 191-205
JHT Read for Credit
Quiz: # 892
Record your answers on the Return Answer Form found on the tear-out coupon at the back of this issue or to complete online and use a credit card, go to JHTReadforCredit.com. There is only one best answer for each question.
- # 1.The study design is
- d.case series
- # 2.The English version of the SPADI
- a.has been shown to be valid
- b.has never been tested for its validity
- c.failed validation analysis when converted to Spanish
- d.has been rejected by the APTA and ASHT quality control committees
- # 3.Which was used to assess compatibility of the English and Portuguese versions
- a.an ANOVA
- b.two different ICCs
- c.perpendicular analysis
- d.parallel analysis
- # 4.The two-dimensional SPADI includes these domains
- a.glenohumeral motion and function
- b.function and sensation
- c.disability and pain
- d.pain and ROM
- # 5.The Brazilian version of the SPADI is one-dimensional with 13 items, whereas the original English version has two domains
- a.not true
When submitting to the HTCC for re-certification, please batch your JHT RFC certificates in groups of 3 or more to get full credit.
Published online: January 13, 2021
Accepted: January 7, 2021
Received in revised form: November 30, 2020
Received: September 20, 2020
Funding: This work as partially supported by Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (PIBITI/CNPq, Brazil) and Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES, Brazil, finance code 001).
© 2021 Hanley & Belfus, an imprint of Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.