- •Joint protection programs are not evidence based and poorly adhered to.the envelope of applied forces applied by the fingers during 19 activities of daily living was measured.
- •Study examines reduction in hand forces that these programs using finger sensors In healthy individuals, this envelope of applied forces was 1.4 ± 0.6 N to 34.8 ± 1.6 N.
- •This envelope was similar in participants with hand arthritis: 2.3 ± 1.0 N to 30.7 ± 3.7 N.
Purpose of the Study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Classifying Human Hand Use and the Activities of Daily Living Activities of Daily living.95. Springer Tract in Advanced Robotics Book Series (STAR), Stanford2014
- Towards a realistic and self-contained biomechanical model of the hand.Theor Biomech. 2011; : 211-240
- Kinematic analysis and dexterity evaluation of upper extremity in activities of daily living.Gait Posture. 2010; 32: 475-481
- Symptomatic hand osteoarthritis in the United States.Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2007; 86: 12-21
- EULAR evidence based recommendations for the management of hand osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the EULAR standing committee for international clinical studies including therapeutics (ESCISIT).Ann Rheum Dis. 2007; 66: 377-388
- Prevalence of symptomatic hand osteoarthritis and its impact on functional status among the elderly: the Framingham Study.Am J Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 1021-1027
- Pathogenesis and management of pain in osteoarthritis.Lancet. 2005; 365: 965-973
- Prevalence, incidence and progression of hand osteoarthritis in the general population: the Framingham Osteoarthritis Study.Ann Rheum Dis. 2011; 70: 1581-1586
- Prevalence and pattern of radiographic hand osteoarthritis and association with pain and disability (the Rotterdam study).Ann Rheum Dis. 2005; 64: 682-687
- A biomechanical model of the wrist joint for patient- specific model guided surgical therapy: Part 2.Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2016; 230: 326-334
- A 3D biomechanical model of the hand for power grip.J Biomech Eng. 2003; 125: 78
- Hand grip strength and gender: allometric normalization in older adults and implications for the NIOSH lifting equation.J Lifestyle Med. 2017; 7: 63-68
Yeo JC, Lee C, Wang Z, Lim CT. Tactile sensorized glove for force and motion sensing. IEEE SENSORS 2016. Conference Proceedings.
- A novel force transducer for the measurement of grip force.J Biomech. 2001; 34 (Available at:): 125-128https://journals-scholarsportal-.info.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/pdf/00219290/v34i0001/125_anftftmogf.xmlDate accessed: November 13, 2017
- A force transducer to measure individual finger loads during activities of daily living.J Biomech. 1999; 32 (Available at:): 721-725https://journals-scholarsportal-.info.proxy1.lib.uwo.ca/pdf/00219290/v32i0007/721_afttmildaodl.xmlDate accessed: November 13, 2017
- Comparative study of forces involved in different styles of handwriting.J Autom Control Eng. 2013; 1: 260-264
- Quantifying force application to a newborn manikin during simulated cardiopulmonary resuscitation.J Matern Neonatal Med. 2016; 29: 1770-1772
- Analysis of the pressure exerted by the surgeon’ S hand and fingers using a novel robotic laparoscopic instrument during URETHROVESICAL ANASTOMOSIS.Soc Am Gastrointest Endosc Surg. 2016;
- Assessing the influence of hand-arm posture on mechanical responses of the human hand during drilling operation.Int J Adv Manuf Technol. 2017; 93: 375-384
- Do impairments predict hand dexterity after distal radius fractures? A 6-month prospective cohort study.Hand. 2018; 13: 441-447
- Reliability of the NK dexterity board.J Hand Ther. 1999; 12: 7-15
- Concurrent validity of the NK hand dexterity test.Physiother Res Int. 2001; 6: 83-93
- Development of a scale for patient rating of wrist pain and disability.J Hand Ther. 1996; 9: 178-183
- The disabilities of the arm, shoulder and hand (DASH) outcome questionnaire: longitudinal construct validity and measuring self-rated health change after surgery.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2003; 4: 1-6
- The joint protection behavior assessment: a reliability study.Am J Occup Ther. 2000; 54: 516-524
- Identification of key pinch forces required to complete functional tasks.J Rehabil Res Dev. 2004; 41: 215-223
- Age- and gender-specific normative data of grip and pinch strength in a healthy.Hand. 2009; : 76-84
JHT Read for Credit
Quiz: # 672
- # 1.Units of force were reported in
- b.foot pounds
- # 2.The force sensors were
- a.readily available commercial models
- b.custom fabricated to meet the needs of this study
- c.in routine use in 10 surveyed hand therapy clinics in Canada
- d.none of the above
- # 3.The protocol called for ________________ as to how to perform the tasks
- a.training of the therapy staff
- b.limited coaching
- c.detailed coaching
- d.no coaching
- # 4.The envelopes for normal and subjects with OA
- a.were not reported
- b.were surprisingly almost identical in both groups
- c.varied slightly in the OA group
- d.varied greatly in the OA group
- # 5.Individuals are generally able to generate more force than is required for typical ADLs
- a.not true
Conflict of interests: The author(s) declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article.
Funding: The author(s) disclosed receipt of the following financial support for the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article: This research was funded by The Arthritis Society Strategic Operating Grant.
Research ethics: This study was approved by the Health Science Research Ethics Board at Western University (protocol ID no. 108625).