- •We evaluated the use of written and online video education tools after acute mallet finger injury.
- •Written and video instructions were reported as helpful, and most patients preferred having both types of instructions.
- •This study provides evidence of the usefulness of online videos as an educational aid.
Purpose of the Study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Extensor tendon injury.in: 7th ed. Green's Operative Hand Surgery. Vol. 1. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA2017: 152-182
- Surgical and nonsurgical management of mallet finger: a systematic review.J Hand Surg Am. 2018; 43: 146-163
- Conservative treatment of mallet finger: a systematic review.J Hand Ther. 2015; 28: 237-245
- Effectiveness of interventions to improve therapy adherence in people with upper limb conditions: a systematic review.J Hand Ther. 2017;
- Hand surgery resources exceed American health literacy.Hand (N Y). 2017; (1558944717725384)
- Patient education for carpal tunnel syndrome: analysis of readability.Hand (N Y). 2015; 10: 374-380
Roy M, Okrainec K, Novak CB, von Schroeder HP, Urbach DR, McCabe SJ. Health literacy in patients with Dupuytren's: a cross-sectional study. American Association for Hand Surgery, Annual Meeting. 2018; Phoenix, Arizona.
- The digital divide phenomenon in a hand surgery outpatient clinic.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2004; 421: 54-59
Roy M, Corkum JP, McCabe SJ, et al. One third of plastic and surgical patients have limited health literacy: a systematic review. American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Annual Meeting. 2017; Orlando, FL.
- Using digital videos displayed on personal digital assistants (PDAs) to enhance patient education in clinical settings.Int J Med Inform. 2007; 76: 829-835
- Comparing the effectiveness of video and written material for improving knowledge among sleep disorders clinic patients with limited literacy skills.South Med J. 2000; 93: 297-304
- The verbal numeric pain scale: effects of patient education on self-reports of pain.Acad Emerg Med. 2006; 13: 853-859
- Media and memory: the efficacy of video and print materials for promoting patient education about asthma.Patient Educ Couns. 2010; 80: 393-398
- A literature review on the efficacy of video in patient education.J Med Educ. 1988; 63: 785-792
- Effects of video-based, online education on behavioral and knowledge outcomes in sunscreen use: a randomized controlled trial.Patient Educ Couns. 2011; 83: 273-277
- Online video improves clinical outcomes in adults with atopic dermatitis: a randomized controlled trial.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2011; 64: 502-507
- Does a DVD improve compliance with home exercise programs for people who have sustained a traumatic hand injury? Results of a feasibility study.Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2014; 9: 188-194
- The effect of brochure use versus therapist teaching on patients performing therapeutic exercise and on changes in impairment status.Phys Ther. 1996; 76: 1082-1088
- A randomized controlled trial comparing 2 instructional approaches to home exercise instruction following arthroscopic full-thickness rotator cuff repair surgery.J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2002; 32: 548-559
- Readability level of patient information leaflets for older people.Ir J Med Sci. 2011; 180: 139-142
- Educating patients with limited literacy skills: the effectiveness of printed and videotaped materials about colon cancer.Am J Public Health. 1994; 84: 119-121
- Assessing readability of patient education materials: current role in orthopaedics.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010; 468: 2572-2580
- Readability of the most commonly accessed online patient education materials pertaining to pathology of the hand.Hand (N Y). 2017; (1558944717726138)
JHT Read for Credit
Quiz: # 636
- # 1.Mallet management included
- a.orthotic immobilization
- b.patient education
- c.an online video link
- d.all of the above
- # 2.The study design was
- b.a case series
- c.prospective cohort
- d.retrospective cohort
- # 3.The use of the educational materials was evaluated via
- a.a questionnaire
- b.patient interviews
- c.chart reviews
- d.therapist examination
- # 4.The video link was shown to be
- a.an equivalent tool to written instructions
- b.a more effective tool than written instructions
- c.an ineffective tool
- d.too technically challenging to gain patient compliance
- # 5.The evidence supports the use of an online video link in addition to traditional interventions in the management of acute mallet finger injuries
Conflict of interest: All named authors hereby declare that they have no conflicts of interest to disclose.