The authors should be applauded for their novel approach for studying proximal movement patterns and the effect of elastic therapeutic taping (ETT) to scapular kinematics following a distal radius fracture (DRF) treated with internal fixation. Rehabilitation therapists have long associated faulty kinetic chain movement patterns with malaligned joints and compromised muscle length-tension relationships that can occur following a DRF.
- Keller K.
- Corbett J.
- Nichols D.
Repetitive strain injury in computer keyboard users: pathomechanics and treatment principles in individual and group intervention.
J Hand Ther. 1998; 11: 9-26
2Few studies have objectively examined the outcomes of scapular motions following a DRF injury.
- Mandalidis D.
- O'Brien M.
Relationship between hand-grip isometric strength and isokinetic moment data of the shoulder stabilisers.
J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2010; 14: 19-26
3One of the theorized benefits of ETT is proprioceptive feedback to promote or inhibit movement patterns.
- Ayhan C.
- Turgut E.
- Baltaci G.
Distal radius fractures result in alterations in scapular kinematics: a three-dimensional motion analysis.
Clin Biomech. 2015; 30: 296-301
4Positive findings with improved scapular posterior tilt have been found when ETT was applied to subjects with shoulder impingement.
- Simon J.
- Garcia W.
- Docherty C.L.
The effect of kinesio tape on force sense in people with functional ankle instability.
Clin J Sport Med. 2014; 24: 289-294
5However, there are no studies researching the effects of ETT on scapular kinematics following a DRF injury. The authors studied two clinical concepts. The purpose of this study was to determine the scapular motions following a DRF treated with internal fixation compared to paired matched healthy controls and also to investigate the effect of elastic taping on scapular kinematics in subjects following DRF. Between-group comparisons were used to measure scapular motions between the experimental groups consisting of subjects following a DRF treated with internal fixation compared to healthy controls. Within-group comparisons were measured in the experimental group to measure scapular kinematics with no tape and ETT conditions. The authors used a cross-sectional and pre/post test design.
- Hsu Y.H.
- Chen W.Y.
- Lin H.C.
- Wang W.T.
- Shih Y.F.
The effects of taping on scapular kinematics and muscle performance in baseball players with shoulder impingement syndrome.
J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009; 19: 1092-1099
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Repetitive strain injury in computer keyboard users: pathomechanics and treatment principles in individual and group intervention.J Hand Ther. 1998; 11: 9-26
- Relationship between hand-grip isometric strength and isokinetic moment data of the shoulder stabilisers.J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2010; 14: 19-26
- Distal radius fractures result in alterations in scapular kinematics: a three-dimensional motion analysis.Clin Biomech. 2015; 30: 296-301
- The effect of kinesio tape on force sense in people with functional ankle instability.Clin J Sport Med. 2014; 24: 289-294
- The effects of taping on scapular kinematics and muscle performance in baseball players with shoulder impingement syndrome.J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009; 19: 1092-1099
- Alterations in shoulder kinematics and associated muscle activity in people with symptoms of shoulder impingement.Phys Ther. 2000; 80: 276-291
- A kinetic chain approach for shoulder rehabilitation.J Athl Train. 2000; 35: 329
- Epidemiology of pediatric forearm fractures in Washington, DC.J Trauma. 2010; 69: S200-S205
- The epidemiology of distal radius fractures.Hand Clin. 2012; 28: 113-125
- Variations in the use of internal fixation for distal radial fracture in the United States medicare population.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011; 93: 2154
Published online: October 06, 2017
© 2017 Hanley & Belfus, an imprint of Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.