Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Hand Therapy
- Measuring the strength of the intrinsic muscles of the hand in patients with ulnar and median nerve injuries: reliability of the Rotterdam Intrinsic Hand Myometer (RIHM).J Hand Surg [Am]. 2004; 29: 318-324
- Intrarater reliability of manual muscle testing and hand-held dynametric muscle testing.Phys Ther. 1987; 67: 1342-1347
- Intrarater reliability of manual muscle test (Medical Research Council scale) grades in Duchenne's muscular dystrophy.Phys Ther. 1992; 72 (discussion 122–6): 115-122
- Manual muscle strength testing: intraobserver and interobserver reliabilities for the intrinsic muscles of the hand.J Hand Ther. 1995; 8: 185-190
- Assessment of functional outcome after nerve repair in a longitudinal cohort.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 2000; 34: 71-78
- Measuring hand intrinsic muscle strength: normal values and interrater reliability.J Spinal Cord Med. 2004; 27: 460-467
- Overwork weakness in Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2003; 84: 825-827
- Hand strength and fatigue in patients with hereditary motor and sensory neuropathy (types I and II).Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002; 83: 1274-1278
- The effect of long-distance bicycling on ulnar and median nerves: an electrophysiologic evaluation of cyclist palsy.Am J Sports Med. 2005; 33: 1224-1230
- Ulnar and median nerve palsy in long-distance cyclists. A prospective study.Am J Sports Med. 2003; 31: 585-589
- Handlebar palsy—a compression syndrome of the deep terminal (motor) branch of the ulnar nerve in biking.J Neurol. 2002; 249: 1441-1445
- Carpal tunnel syndrome in association with hand-arm vibration syndrome: a review of claimants seeking compensation in the Mining Industry.J Hand Surg [Br]. 2005; 30: 199-203
- Reduced muscle strength in abduction of the index finger: an important clinical sign in hand-arm vibration syndrome.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 2003; 37: 365-370
- Hand muscle weakness in long-term vibration exposure.J Hand Surg [Br]. 2002; 27: 520-525
- Hand muscle pathology after long-term vibration exposure.J Hand Surg [Br]. 2004; 29: 431-437
- The musculoskeletal complications seen in type II diabetics: predominance of hand involvement.Clin Rheumatol. 2003; 22: 229-233
- A model instrument for the documentation of outcome after nerve repair.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2000; 25: 535-543
- Ulnar nerve repair.in: Gelberman R.H. Operative Nerve Repair and Reconstruction. J.B. Lippincott Comp, Philadelphia1991: 425-436
- The quest for better recovery from peripheral nerve injury: current status of nerve regeneration research.J Hand Ther. 1993; 6: 83-88
- The contribution of the intrinsic muscles to grip and pinch strength.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1999; 24: 64-72
- Manual muscle strength testing and dynamometry for bilateral ulnar neuropraxia in a surgeon.J Hand Ther. 1995; 8: 191-194
- Certain aspects of infantile paralysis with a description of a method of muscle testing.JAMA. 1916; 66
Zachary RB. Results of nerve suture. London, UK: Her Majesty's Stationary Office. Peripheral Nerve Injuries. Medical Research Council Report Series No. 282, 1954, pp. 354–88.
Medical Research Council. Special Report series no 282. London: Her Majesty's Stationary Office.
- Sensible manual muscle strength testing to evaluate and monitor strength of the intrinsic muscles of the hand: a commentary.J Hand Ther. 2001; 14: 273-278
- Measuring muscle strength.J Neurol. 1984; 231: 200-203
- A technique to quantitate motor recovery following nerve grafting.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1995; 20: 367-372
- Grip strength.in: Casanova J.S. Clinical Assessment Recommendations. American Society of Hand Therapists, Chicago1992: 41-46
- Grade 4 in manual muscle testing: the problem with submaximal strength assessment.Clin Rehabil. 1997; 11: 36-41
- Relationship between two measures of upper extremity strength: manual muscle test compared to hand-held myometry.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1992; 73: 1063-1068
- A numerical grading scale for peripheral nerve function.J Hand Ther. 1993; 6: 152-160
- Measurement of health outcomes following tendon and nerve repair.J Hand Ther. 2005; 18: 297-312
- Studies on the hand in ulnar nerve paralysis. A clinical–experimental investigation in normal and anomalous innervation.Acta Orthop Scand. 1966; 87: 61-86
- Studies on ulnar nerve compression neuropathies with a new computerised instrument—the intrins-o-meter.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 1997; 31: 251-260
- Measurement of thumb abduction strength: normative data and a comparison with grip and pinch strength.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1997; 22: 843-848
- Quantitative abductor pollicis brevis strength testing: reliability and normative values.J Hand Surg [Am]. 2000; 25: 752-759
- A clinical study of forces generated by the intrinsic muscles of the index finger and the extrinsic flexor and extensor muscles of the hand.J Hand Surg [Am]. 1978; 3: 571-578
- Strength of the intrinsic muscles of the hand measured with a hand-held dynamometer: reliability in patients with ulnar and median nerve paralysis.J Hand Surg [Br]. 2000; 25: 560-565
- Reliability assessment of isometric knee extension measurements with a computer-assisted hand-held dynamometer.Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1998; 79: 442-448
- Applying evidence on outcome measures to hand therapy practice.J Hand Ther. 2004; 17: 165-173
- Long-term outcome of muscle strength in ulnar and median nerve injury: comparing manual muscle strength testing, grip and pinch strength dynamometers and a new intrinsic muscle strength dynamometer.J Rehabil Med. 2004; 36: 273-278
- Sollerman hand function test. A standardised method and its use in tetraplegic patients.Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg. 1995; 29: 167-176
- Measurement error in grip and pinch force measurements in patients with hand injuries.Phys Ther. 2003; 83: 806-815
JHT Read for Credit
Quiz: Article #041
- #1.THE ASHT recommends when doing a MMT that:
- a.all scores from 0 to 5 be used.
- b.only the scores of 0-3 be used because higher muscle strengths are not appropriately tested with this scale.
- c.an EMG must also be used to confirm validity.
- d.standard scoring technique is appropriate, except for thumb intrinsics which are unreliable.
- #2.The RIHM devise is:
- a.mounted on the table and made of durable aluminum.
- b.ergonomically appropriate because it is constructed of materials that mold to the hand.
- c.recommended for home use by the patient as a form of biofeedback.
- d.hand held and made of light weight plastic.
- #3.The RIMH:
- a.is a far different approach to testing the intrinsics than MMT.
- b.is considered by the ASHT to be the Gold Standard for testing the strength of the intrinsics.
- c.uses an approach similar to MMT & can be used to test all the intrinsics of the hand.
- d.eliminates the need for EMG studies in evaluating the intrinsics.
- #4.The reliability of the RIMH was:
- a.94 for interrater.
- b.94 for intrarater.
- c.74 for both intra & interrater.
- d.not reported in this study.
- #5.The study suggests as illustrated in the 1st case study that:
- a.while grip & pinch scores may improve, intrinsic strength may not improve at a similar rate.
- b.intrinsic strength routinely improves at a similar rate to grip & pinch.
- c.intrinsic strength often improves at a greater rate than grip & pinch.
- d.lumbricals typically improve at a faster rate than the interossei.
The authors hereby state that they have no personal interest in the Rotterdam Intrinsic Hand Myometer.